xxvi. betrayal?

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \ | / 。 ★
T O   B E T R U S T E D
( chapter twenty six )
★ 。 / | \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter twenty six )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| The very thought of being anywhere near the Cullen's made Paul's blood boil. It was ingrained in each member of the pack's DNA to hate them, but Paul? He hated them with every inch of his being, human and wolf. Maybe it's because they were the reason that a normal existence was impossible for him now, or maybe it was because of the threat they posed to everyone he cared about — either way, he hated them. He'd made his views clear in his thoughts as him and the pack made their way to the clearing to train with the bloodsuckers, even adding in the suggestion that the pack take the Cullen's out with the rest of the army headed towards them, but Sam dismissed him easily with talk of 'the treaty' and 'the greater good'. It was all a load of bullshit, if you asked Paul.

But just as he was about to start another mental rant, he smelt it. That smell of lavender perfume, ocean air, and forest that always encompassed the girl he loved. None of the others noticed it, hell he barely had underneath the repulsively sweet scent of vampires, but it was there. Paul froze, tensing at the very thought of her with them. He'd told her to stay away from them, he'd almost shifted right there in her bedroom as they argued about it, and yet here she was, Lyla Woodsen, stubborn as ever. Seeing her with them made him thrum with rage, but he couldn't do anything — alpha's orders. He had to stand there, watching as Lyla stood amongst the beings he was so scared would hurt her.

Because that's what this was all about, really. He was scared. Scared that he'd lose her, the best thing that had ever happened to him. She had no idea that his dreams were haunted every night by the image of her being ripped to pieces by the redhead or the Cullen's. Maybe if she knew she'd listen to him, but being vulnerable wasn't something Paul was good at, he was damaged just like her. It was torture, seeing her stood right there and not being able to do anything about it, not being able to fix their fight, or shield her from the vampires stood around her. But while it was tearing him apart, Lyla seemed unfazed, standing with Bella and watching in awe at the way the Cullen's moved with such speed and grace.

She could feel his eyes boring into her every now and again, but she refused to meet his gaze. She refused to let a boy dictate her life — she wanted to be here with Bella, so she would. Perhaps if she knew the way his very DNA screamed at him to get her away from them, or how his body flooded with fear at the thought of losing her to those creatures, she would understand. But she didn't. And perhaps if he knew that his anger and stubborn demands for her to stay away from them were only making her more insistent to rebel, he wouldn't be so controlling. But he didn't. So, alas, they were their own worst enemies.

"It's driving him crazy, you know?" A voice tore Lyla's attention from Emmett and Jasper's sparring.

Edward had appeared between her and Bella, his presence going unnoticed by Lyla until his eerily silky voice demanded her attention.