viii. ceilings and cars

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★
T O B E   T R U S T E D
( chapter eight )
★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter eight )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| Lyla lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling for what felt like hours. She felt awful about everything that went down with Bella, but she was also quite angry about how the Swan girl spoke to her - she understood that Bella was upset about Jacob, but there was no need to take it out on her friend.

"Hey, are you working tonight?" Her uncle Brian's voice sounded from her doorway.

They'd long since forgotten about Lyla's outburst from the other week, but Lyla still felt kind of bad. But this was how it worked between them; Lyla would act like an ungrateful moody teenager, they wouldn't talk for a day or two, and then they would. That was it, it would never be brought up again. Maybe it wasn't a traditional parenting tactic, but Brian ignoring her after she was a bitch always did the trick, leaving her bathing in her guilt and making her be a golden child for at least the next few days (or hours).

"What? Oh, um, no, not tonight." Lyla answered distractedly, not removing her gaze from her ceiling.

Her eyes picked apart every chip and crack in the paint, every shadow cast by her light and every flaw she could find. Her room was relatively plain; when she'd moved in at age 10 she wasn't in the mood to decorate, she'd brought all of her things from her room from when she'd lived with her parents, but it all looked so wrong to her in her uncles house. Even as the years went on, the only addition she made to the room was a picture or two of her Jared and Jess, or her and Cora, or even one of her and Brian. Perhaps part of her never wanted to settle in and make the room her own because she always secretly hoped, deep deep down, that her mom would one day return and take her home. Of course, after 6 years she knew it wouldn't happen, she knew this was her home now and that was that, but old habits die hard.

"You okay, Lyla?" Brian asked, somewhat awkwardly (and nervously, considering how it ended the last time).

He was a gruff man and had never been the best at handling people's emotions, so taking Lyla in and been a struggle considering what a hard time she was going through at that point, but he tried his best. He had always been distant while Lyla was growing up - he had no clue how to be a parent and left Lyla to do most things on her own, but he was there when it really mattered; like when she'd get herself lost when hiding out in the woods after her mom left, or when she would wake crying in the night after dreaming of her father, or like when she'd be staring at the ceiling of her room as if it held the answers to all of life's questions.

"Yeah... Actually no, no i'm not." Lyla decided not to deny it, though this time it wasn't followed by an outburst. "But there's not much to be done about it so..."