v. crossing paths

☆。 *。 ☆。
★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★
T O B E   T R U S T E D
( chapter five )
★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★
☆。 *。 ☆。

☆。 *。 ☆。★ 。 \   |   / 。 ★T O   B E   T R U S T E D( chapter five )★ 。 /   |   \ 。 ★☆。 *。 ☆。

* . °•| It was the middle of the night when Lyla woke up. Her and Jess were sprawled out on the latter's bed, clearly having passed out while watching yet another movie after their little heart to heart. Still foggy with sleep, Lyla tried to figure out what had woken her up, her question soon answered by the front door closing downstairs. She glanced at Jess but the girl was fast asleep, small snores escaping from her mouth.

Jess's parents were away for the weekend so there was no chance of it being them, with that knowledge and accepting that she couldn't ignore it the creaking of footsteps through the house, Lyla creeped into Jared's empty room, grabbing his baseball bat before tip-toeing down the stairs. She saw two shadows, cast by the low light in the kitchen, and the sound of low illegible whispers met her ears. She neared the source, hiding flat against the wall next to the kitchen door, poised to swing the bat when the intruders walked through.

Her nerves mounted, and just when she was about to tuck-tail and run back to Jess, a tall figure stepped through the doorway. Acting on instinct, Lyla swung the bat, but the figure caught it, letting out a startled curse. A light flicked on and Lyla's eyes, for the second time ever, met the gaze of Paul Lahote - though he was considerably more startled in this circumstance.

"Lyla?" Jared asked in surprise, drawing Lyla's attention to where he stood behind Paul, hand still over the light switch.

"Jesus, you guys scared the shit out of me! I thought someone was in the house." Lyla exclaimed, yanking the bar out of Paul's grip and lowering it.

"Um, yeah, there is someone in the house: us!" Jared pointed out to her as if she was an idiot.

For a moment, she almost allowed herself to burst out laughing, something she would have done if it weren't for the fact that this was the first time Jared had spoken to her since he got back, other than those two measly words he voiced in the hall at school.

"No shit! But how was I supposed to know it was you, I thought it was some robber breaking in!" She snapped, covering her initial amusement with annoyance.

"And you were going to fight off two robbers, alone, with a baseball bat?" Paul asked incredulously.

"Isn't that my bat?" Jared added.

"Yes, I was; and yes, it is. Now if you don't mind, I'm going back to bed, and if you guys wake me up again, I'll be back with the bat." She grumbled with a glare - that lacked its proper effect due to her tiredly rubbing her eyes.