chapter 5

I'd woken up tired and groggy, and all of my muscles were paying the price for my panic attack yesterday

I'd woken up tired and groggy, and all of my muscles were paying the price for my panic attack yesterday. Someone had taken my cup and bowl during the night, and apparently tucked me in? This thought was slightly off-putting but I wasn't going to let it stop me, as I lazily climbed out of bed strolled over to the window Jane had opened the day before. Unlike the previous few days, the weather finally seemed to be warming up, the bright sunlight streaming through the glass as humid spring air filled the room.

Remembering that I apparently had plans for that day, I went straight to picking out a suitable outfit, making sure I wouldn't make the same mistake with my shoes as I had the day before. After what felt like hours trying to find some clothes that actually suited me, I ended up settling with a rose pink a-line skirt and a white printed tee I'd managed to spot after rummaging through all of the many tops that had been provided.

I quickly changed out of the clothes I'd worn the day before and decided to walk over to the mirror, only to realise the absolute state I'd left myself in. Messy lines of mascara ran down my cheeks, and my skin was incredibly dry and in desperate need of moisturiser. I ended up using up three cotton wool pads soaked in make-up remover just to fix the mascara, before redoing the same makeup I'd done the day before, only neater. On the plus side, the outfit I'd chosen fitted me perfectly, despite the skirt maybe being a little on the short side, and I considered changing out of it as it made me slightly uncomfortable, but I managed to talk myself into keeping it on. My unbrushed hair formed natural waves down to my shoulders but I couldn't find a hair-straightener, and it would look worse if I tried to brush it, so I left it as it was.

Someone knocked on the door, waiting a few second before opening it and letting themselves in. I spotted Jane strolling confidently into the room through the mirror followed by Alec, who closed the door behind him.

"You know, if you waited a few more seconds, I would've gladly opened the door for you. There's no need to let yourselves in," I remarked, but they ignored my statement.

"The masters have requested your presence downstairs," Alec said with a strict tone.

I took in a sharp breath, flattening any creases in my skirt out with my palms despite there not being any. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Alec dash over to the dresser and pick up a gold necklace with a few small star pendants, before handing it to Jane who fastened it around my neck. I looked at her in confusion, to which she rolled her eyes.

"Your outfit needed something more interesting, now let's go," she said, already walking out of the door at human speed followed by Alec.

Well at least it was nice to know that they didn't completely hate me, for if they did they surely wouldn't want to help me look presentable. I stepped one foot out of the door only to feel the stone cold floor underneath me, now noticing that I'd almost forgotten my shoes again. This time, I picked up a pair of converse shoes from by the door and sat in the doorframe, tying them up at the speed of a six year old. Before I even managed to realise it, Alec bent down and tied my laces for me much faster than I would've done and helped me to my feet.