chapter 10

I was woken up by the sunlight streaming through my window the next morning. My memory of the night before was still a little hazy, but I noticed that I was still in my gym clothes, my hoodie and shoes neatly placed on the floor. I'd had the most peaceful sleep I could remember, without a single nightmare, which was new for me. With this level of motivation, I practically jumped out of bed, my socks causing me to skid across the polished floor and land flat on my ass.

"Remind me not to do that again," I murmured to myself under my breath, using the edge of my bed to climb back to my feet.

I paced over to my wardrobe and after almost an hour of endless rummaging, I settled on a plain white t-shirt tucked into a pair of ripped jeans. A knock sounded on the door just as I was brushing my teeth at the sink.

"Who is it?" I attempted to yell, my voice muffled by the white toothpaste that ran down my chin.

"Sir Afton of the Volturi, milady," an embarrassing English accent replied.

I hastily placed my toothbrush back into its cup by the sink and hurried over to the door to fling it open.

"What?" I drew my eyebrows together as Afton snickered at me.

"Toothpaste is a good look for you, you should consider wearing it more often," he snarked, before I wiped it away with my index finger and flicked the remaining droplets at him.

"May I come in then?" he asked, rubbing at the white toothpaste marks left on his cloak.

"I don't see why not," I sighed, throwing the door open and gesturing my arm, "after you ditched me during the Masters' meeting last night."

"Chill, they're your mates...did you not enjoy yourself?" he raised an eyebrow.

"I did, but that's not my point," I snapped.

"What's your point then?"

"My point is, you ditched me in an awkward situation!"

"You made it awkward!"

As if with perfect timing, my phone which lay discarded on my bed began to buzz as I dived across my mattress for it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Eliana, my beautiful, precious, wonderful baby! How are you?" an overenthusiastic voice exclaimed.

Mum.

"Great thanks, yeah," I waved off Afton who was silently rolling around on the floor in hysterical laughter.

"So, tell me, how's Forks treating you?"

Of course, she still thought I was back in the US with the Cullens.

"Forks is great thanks, rainy like always. You know...same old, same old," Afton tilted his head to the side and I responded with a shrug.

"Brilliant, my wonderful, smart, gorgeous pudding. Oh, did you want to talk to Dad?" Before I even had the chance to reply, I heard the muffled silence as the phone was passed over to my Dad.

"Hey pumpkin, how are you?"

All I could think about was just how many of these nicknames Afton would decide to adopt to piss me off further.

"I'm good, I'm good, yeah..." I replied vaguely.

"You seem busy, I'll let you go...your mother says she-"

He was quickly cut off by my mother who'd stolen the phone back from him. At that same time, Chelsea wandered in to join Afton, confused about what the hell was going on.