SERPENTS

"Everything changes"

*              *               *

Bella bit into her toast, licking the strawberry jam from her lips. She sipped her chai tea and continued to read the newspaper. She glossed over the articles about death and destruction, opting for reading an article about a lost dog finding its way home. She grins at the photo of the smiling family, the young son attempting to hold the golden retriever. 

   Bella's nose wrinkled at the smell of the brewing coffee she was making for Owen. No matter how much she would make for him it never seemed like he was satisfied. He drank coffee like it was water. 

   Owen walked into the kitchen, grabbing some toast from the counter and biting into it. Bella watched as he poured himself a cup of coffee while whistling to himself. He walked over to Bella and planted a kiss on her cheek, the smell of coffee replacing the usual smell of liquor on his breath. 

   "Good morning," he said as his blonde hair flopped in front of his eyes. He quickly brushed it out of his face and continued to drink his coffee.

   "Morning," Bella said sweetly. "Did you sleep well last night?" 

   "As best I could, work still keeps me up at night even in my dreams. Do you see the paperwork I have to do each day?"

   Bella took another sip of her tea and smiled to herself, "Yeah, you've got tons of paperwork. I couldn't imagine."

   Owen stared at Bella before grabbing the newspaper from her and tossing it into the garbage. Bella furrowed her eyebrows and look at him in shock, Owen only returning a cocky smile and a laugh.  

   "I'm right here, babe," Owen said. "Talk to me." 

   Bella's nails tapped on her mug of tea. She bit her bottom lip and only shrugged at Owen.

   "Well," she began. "There's not much to talk about except work." 

   Owen rolled his eyes, "That's a conversation neither of us want to have." 

   "Same here." 

   "We can talk about our dinner plans for Friday night."

   Bella grinned at him and pretended to look thrilled. But on the inside, she was dreading their dinner reservations. Owen figured since they don't spend as much time together due to Bella's job, a fancy dinner would be a perfect bonding experience. He wanted them to get dressed up and spend their evening indulging in wines and lobster tails. 

   Owen had the tendency to be short with waiters and waitresses which embarrassed Bella immensely. He also never knew how to stop drinking once he started. Bella never liked when he drank, he got mean and angry. She always felt weak around him. 

   "I can't wait!" Bella exclaimed with a forced smile. "I hope I don't have a case that will cause me to miss it."

   Owen's smile dropped, "What do you mean?"