BREATHE

"And life's like an hourglass glued to the table"

Episode: Derailed (Season 1, Episode 9)

*               *               *

Bella's eyes raked over the many images of the murdered children, fallen victim to William Devries. Bella shuddered and cringed at the photos, her stomach churning. Seeing any dead child made her squeamish, it hurt her heart beyond compare. Although she had a degree in criminology and her career has studying behaviors, she truly didn't understand how anyone could murder an innocent child. It scared her to think about. 

   The other people on the train occupied themselves with their own thoughts as Bella looked up to stare out the window. Her eyes scanned the tall trees with the dark green leaves along with the clear sky. Not a single cloud was occupying the sky that day, it was as if they had somewhere else to be. In a way, Bella envied them.

   Being chosen for this interview made Bella feel incredibly delighted with herself. In a way, Gideon and Hotch were telling her that she was worthy of being part of the BAU. After a year of Owen telling her that she wouldn't ever make it into the FBI, this made her feel powerful. Despite all of these positive emotions, this interview still gnawed at Bella's nerves. She had never interviewed a serial killer before and she was worried she would mess up. Serial killers in real life were WAY different from the countless movies she watched in her teenage years. She prayed that she would make Gideon and Hotch proud. 

   Looking back down at the pictures, Bella cringed and took out her phone. She dialed Gideon's number and listened as the phone began to ring.

   "Gideon," he answered.

   "Hi," Bella greeted in a soft tone. "It's me, I ended up taking a train from El Paso instead of renting a car. I wanted to look over the files more, which might have been a mistake." 

   "Don't overwhelm yourself, remember that he can't lie to you if you know the crime better than he does."

   Bella sighed, "Yeah, I remember."

   Gideon shuffled on the other line, "Alright listen, Snow, I'm in the middle of 2 consults-"

   The phone began to cut out as Bella shifted the phone. Gideon's voice became choppy as Bella moved the phone around and plugged her other ear. 

   "I'm sorry, Gideon," Bella said. "You're cutting out, I think I'm losing you."

   "Can we talk when you get back?" Gideon's voice suddenly returned.

   "Yeah, no problem. I'll see you tomorrow." 

   "Bella I'm sor-"

   Bella groaned as the phone cut completely off before Gideon could finish his sentence. She put the phone back in her pocket and began looking over the file again, reading the notes on the case. Suddenly, the train came to a screeching halt. Bella yelped at she was pushed forward, the file almost falling out of her hands. She pushed her hair out of her face as the train guard came through the doors.