MORAL OF THE STORY

"You can think that you're in love when you're really just engaged"

Episode: The Tribe (Season 1, Episode 16)

*               *              *

"Hot damn!" Penelope gushed. "I bet I could pay off my student debt with that."

"Look at how sparkly it is!" Elle gasped.

"Congratulations, Bella," JJ smiled. "You're going to be a beautiful bride."

Penelope continued to stare at the ring, "We also better be expecting some wedding invitations in the future!"

Bella laughed, "Of course I'm inviting you ladies!"

Morgan set down a stack of files on his desk and glanced over at the group of women surrounding Bella's desk. He took a sip of his coffee as he watched them giggle and gush about something. With an eyebrow raised, he made his way over to them.

"Good morning, ladies of the BAU," he purred, glancing down and seeing the large ring on Bella's finger. "When did you get the rock, Dimples?"

"Just last night," Bella smiled. "I wasn't expecting it at all."

"Congratulations, I'm very happy for you."

"Thanks, Derek."

Spencer, Hotch, and Gideon walked into the room together talking in low voices. Bella glanced away in order to avoid eye contact with Spencer. Neither of them had spoken since their fight two days ago and it was eating at them both. Spencer wanted to apologize for getting involved in her personal life and Bella wanted to apologize for freaking out on him. Instead they just ignored each other and prayed that they wouldn't have to work together. He made his way over to his desk and tried to hide his face in his coffee mug and stack of papers.

"Good morning, everyone," Hotch said. "I believe we have a new case, right JJ?" She nodded in response at the entire team groaned to themselves.

"Why today?" Morgan whined. "We should be celebrating with champagne and cake."

"Celebrating what?"

"Well, little Miss Agent Snow is soon going to be Agent Kersey."

Hotch and Gideon smiled as Bella held up her hand to show off the ring. Spencer's heart skipped a beat as he turned to see the glistening diamond everyone was fawning over. He slowly felt himself break and couldn't understand why. His heart was breaking for Bella and a piece was breaking for himself, though he tried to deny it.

It wasn't a ring on her finger, it was a cuff. She was becoming Owen's prisoner more and more and this was the final step. Spencer pitied himself for not trying to expose Owen sooner. Maybe if he had then Bella would be free and joyous. He was too late, and she was long gone.