I AM THE WALRUS

"I'm crying"

   "I'm crying"

*               *               *

The air was unusually warm for a late September day. Typically people would be dressed in jeans and sweatshirts, their hands full with coffee shop bagels and worn out paperback novels. Today everyone was wearing tank tops and shorts, their hot coffee replaced with iced coffee. Kids hurried off the bus from school and changed into bathing suits, jumping into their pools and splashing each other. Adults got home and changed into lighter clothing, pouring themselves a glass of beer.

   Instead, the BAU was stuck inside wearing long pants and blazers. Sweat dripped from their foreheads and armpits as a small fan hummed behind them. The only noises in the room were the sounds of papers rustling and keyboards clicking. Bella grabbed a piece a paper and fanned her face, the room feeling stuffy and hot.

   Spencer rubbed his eyes, trying to stay focused on his large pile of paperwork. He adjusted his glasses, regretting wearing such a warm sweater on a hot day. He looked over at Elle who was working diligently. She had been back at work for almost a month now, yet it was still unbelievable and strange to Spencer. She had returned like nothing had happened, getting straight to work and helping solve cases like normal. She was the same Elle as before.

   He shifted his focus onto Bella as she put her hair into a high ponytail. The sun hit her hair perfectly, making it look even more golden. Her eyes shimmered brilliantly in the sunlight, illuminating the ivy green color. Everything about her was warm and comforting. She looked the way summer felt.

   Hotch marched into the room, a cloud of frustration and irritation looming over him. JJ followed behind him closely, as did Gideon. The team looked up at the three of them, confused by what was bothering them.

   "Everyone grab your stuff, we're leaving in 5 minutes," Hotch said, his face cold and serious.

   "What happened?" Morgan asked, standing up and grabbing his go bag.

   "A man murdered his wife and three children and fled, no one has been able to find him and they think he's changing up his identity. We don't want this guy escaping."

   Bella stood up quickly, almost knocking over her chair. She grabbed her go bag and held herself back from sprinting to the plane. Working a case was the best thing to happen to her right now, the hours of paperwork in the brutal heat was slowly killing her.

   "Where are we going?" Elle asked.

   "Providence, Rhode Island," Gideon answered. "It's cooler there, bring a light jacket."

   The team didn't try to hide their excitement.

*                         *                         *

   Bella allowed the cool air to hit her arms, hundreds of goosebumps rising. It was the best feeling in the world to her, the humidity in D.C was dreadful. At least in Rhode Island you were able to breathe.