LANDSLIDE

"Well, I've been afraid of changin' 'cause I've built my life around you"

*               *               *

Every hospital smells the exact same. A mixture of lemon cleaners, rubbing alcohol, and vomit. No matter where you go or where you are, every hospital smells like it. The air is hot and stuffy as you're surrounded by people who are coughing and blowing their nose. It makes you feel like you're going to catch 1,000 diseases just by walking down the hall. The floors are bright and shiny and the walls are the color of blank paper, it almost blinds you. 

   Bella walked past countless rooms trying to find the one her mom was in. Her eyes scanned each number before finally landing on room number 10. Through the window she could see her mom laying in the hospital bed, her face pale and tired. Surrounding the bed were Bella's sisters, Charlotte, Phoebe, and Aurora. 

   "Bella," Aurora said, running over and embracing her sister. "I'm so glad you're here."

   The two sisters hugged each other tightly. Bella felt the back of shirt become wet as tears rolled off Aurora's cheeks onto her shirt. Charlotte and Phoebe stood up and walked over to their sisters and embraced them, forming a large group hug. 

   "I got here as soon as I could," Bella said. "How is she?" 

   "She has been sleeping for a couple hours," Phoebe said. "I'll wake her up."

   "Are you sure? Is she feeling well enough."

   "Yes, she'd hate me forever if I didn't tell her you were here." 

   Phoebe walked over to their sleeping mother and pushed the sweaty hair out of her face. She lightly shook her and whispered 'Mom, Bella is here.' 

   Bella raced over next to her mom as she opened her warm eyes and smiled. She coughed and held her arms out for a hug as Bella bent down and hugged her, placing a kiss on her warm forehead.

   "My sweet girl," Bella's mother, Alice, said with tears in her eyes. "I've been missing those eyes." She reached up and touched Bella's cheek with a weak smile, Bella's eyes began to water once again.

   "Mom," Bella breathed. "I'm so sorry this is happening to you, I should never have taken the job. I should've just stayed home." 

   "Don't be silly, you're a profiler! I always knew that you were destined to do amazing things. You're still going to do amazing things, my Bella." 

   Bella simpered and held her mom's hand. Phoebe smiled and walked over to the bed, giving Bella a side hug.

   "I'm going to run down to the cafeteria," Phoebe said, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I'll bring back apple juice." 

   Alice and Bella nodded as Phoebe made her way out the door. Nurses and doctors bustled in the hallway, their faces stern and tired from working long hours. Aurora sat down in an empty chair and sniffled a soft cry.