65. The Night Shift

"Camila!" Louis yelled as he saw his wife unconscious on the floor. "Camila, you alright?" He shook his wife a couple of times. Camila slowly opened her eyes and closed them quickly as the sudden exposure to lights blinded her. She groaned as he helped her get up.

"What happened?" Louis asked. "Wait," he got up from the floor and brought a glass of water. "Here,"

Camila took the glass and took a sip. "The body," She said pointing at the table. But the corpse was lying in its usual position. Camila took a breath and shook her head. "I must have been hallucinating,"

"What are you talking about?" He asked looking in the direction where Petunia's body was laying on its back.

"I turned around and saw the body sitting up. I swear it was laying. It's not possible." With her palm on the floor, she slowly got up. "I must be imagining things. Anyway, I called for you so many times, "

"I was outside fixing the fuse. I didn't hear anything though."

"Weird," Camila said. "I yelled your name so many times and the fuse isn't that far,"

Louis shrugged. "But you know the strange thing was that fuse was alright."

Camila made a face of disbelief. If everything was alright, why did the power go out?

"The important thing is that the lights are back on," Camila said picking up her phone with its screen cracked due to the fall. "Did you ask the Jacksons when they want the viewing?"

"They said as soon as possible but if possible tomorrow itself."

She nodded her head. "Means I have to work the night shift. It's alright. If they want it tomorrow, we'll give them that way. Besides I'm not feeling so sleepy or tired. " She said as she walked towards the table.

"But I'm telling you, Camila," Louis said in a low voice, "there's something off about the Jacksons,"

Camila looked at his husband with a scissor in her hand.

"They want the viewing as soon as possible, they didn't want to invite any of their family members and look at Mrs. Petunia. Do you think that her death was a normal accident? I'm telling you, Camila, it's like they are hiding something. It feels like they want to get rid of the body fast with nothing to do with it or any sentiments attached. "

Camila took out a deep breath and said," I'm very well aware of what you are trying to say, Louis. Now don't go on telling me again that it must link towards the ghosts, curse, or her death has anything to do with the supernatural. You know I don't believe in those things."

"I know, Camila, but I don't want to get involved in any police case. Petunia's death feels so strange to me."

"I can understand, Louis, but try looking from another lens - maybe she slipped and fell over something sharp that penetrated inside and destroyed her eyes and head altogether. You know even the simple household decorative items and other stuff can also act as a weapon. Anything could happen. And, if a criminal or any police case was involved, you could've seen at least one cop there or do you think the family won't contact the cops if they think that she was murdered? Besides, it is natural for a family to want the viewing and funeral soon. It varies from tradition to tradition or religion between 2 or 3 days to even 24 hours as it is seen disrespectful to delay the funeral in some tradition. We must respect their religion, Louis. And maybe they must be acting a bit cold to hide their tears and sadness. You are overthinking things."

"You're right, I'm making it more complex I guess. Anyway, I'll be in the office if you need anything." Saying this, he left Camila in the embalming room.