Chapter 28

I am worried sick as I take a taxi to Marques' apartment. He had texted me saying he wanted to talk, in person! Did something happen to his mom? Is he leaving for a longer period? Has the doctor suggested a different treatment?

I try to calm down as a million questions race through my mind, especially the first one. Though I am curious as hell to know what's wrong, I end up taking the stairs due to nerves.

"Hey." He greets me with a small smile, placing a kiss on my head like always.

I head towards the couch for the talk but he shoos me off to the bedroom for a change of clothes. Pulling on one of his overlarge t-shirts, I come back out to find him sitting with his head in his hands. Oh, man!

"What is it?" I ask.

He slowly takes my hand in his and caresses it with his thumb. "I have to leave for the US on a permanent basis." I have stopped breathing by this point, only the feeling of his hand keeping me in the reality. "My mom's condition isn't getting any better and I can see the back and forth to take care of my parents wearing down on my sister. I think moving would be the best option to help my mom recover."

I nod but he's not done. "I am so sorry! It's so...we are amazing and...I haven't experienced what I have with you. But to break up for a reason that cannot be helped, it's more hurtful!"

I am good at handling such situations which is why I take his hand in mine and tell him that family is a priority. Even though I can feel the oncoming tears and the sorrow stabbing like a knife in my chest, I let it go and search for an easier topic.

"Are you quitting then?" I ask about his job, after sitting in silence for like ever.

"No, the company has an office in the US as well. It's a bit far from where my parents live but I guess I can manage." Because I don't cry, I can see him swallowing back tears.

"So, when are you applying for a transfer?"

"Tomorrow. I am sure it'll be done quickly because they know my condition. I'll be able to leave without much problem."

"After you come back from work tomorrow, we can begin packing as it's the weekend. I can definitely help box up your belongings."

Thinking like this is making the pain fade a little and I can sense it having the same effect on him. "Sure, we can start that. I may get a flight booked for Monday." He looks at me warily, but I nod along. "Also, can we go apartment shopping for you? I really wish you lived in a much safer place. It's been a year since you have had that home! Isn't it time to look for something bigger?"

"Hmm...that makes sense." A bigger place? Yeah, why not? I could get Chris and Aa Ra Unnie to help me out. "But only if I find something good. Don't you dare convince me otherwise!" This brings a smile to both our faces and he pulls me into his arms.

We lay there quietly for a moment before he says, "I am sorry for suggesting you move but not staying back to help you with it!"

"Oh, just shut up." I quickly get up and bring up dinner to get this heavy feeling off my chest.

That's how we spend an hour deciding what to order and then plan his move to the US like its normal. I put away such thoughts in the back of my head because I don't want to waste any of the last moments with Marques.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We spend the weekend packing his stuff and trying to be as cool as possible. Neither of us even thinks of a long-distance relationship or suggests that I move to the US which is good. Sunday is when we finally go around looking for a new apartment. 

I have collected enough money over the year to afford a good place in a nice area. It's the third apartment that catches my eye after looking at two very boring flats.

Marques gets my hint and start negotiating for a better deal while I check out the beautiful view from the tiny bedroom balcony. It's a bit far from the office but the complex is situated in the heart of the city.

Without getting ripped off from the apartment deal, we catch some lunch and spend our last hours together at the Han River. I can feel the clock ticking as the bright sky slowly turns darker above us and I continue holding his hand.

After this, I have to go home to an empty room and I'll never see Marques, again. He stubbornly dismissed the idea of me dropping him at the airport, claiming he would either sob like a baby or cancel his trip. 

So, we finally end up parting with semi-happy smiles and shiny eyes. Holding onto each other for the last goodbye, the taxi arrives too soon and I watch him fade amidst the city lights.