Chapter 24

Monday is that time of the week which sneaks up on you like no other. So, here I am going to work with Monday blues after having the most amazing weekend. But as soon as I get to the office, I take one look at the new BTS project and I am ready to ace it.

In the briefing, Jeff explains how BTS will be releasing a new single completely in English for the first time ever. This means that we need to come up with the best plan that breaks the internet on release. 

So, I spend most of my day, amidst meetings or being locked up in my cabin to cook up a master plan.

The next day in a meeting with the VPs and higher-ups involved in this project, Chris and I are ready to bring our A-game to the table. One of the VPs motions me to go ahead as the other team finishes, so I begin explaining the idea we have come up with. He listens carefully, nodding at many points and looks impressed when I am done.

"Lee Ji Sung, I thought we were going to discuss how to make this release the biggest hit." I freeze still in my seat. "But here, your team head has just brought a fantastic plan to us!" The guy says with a huge smile.

"You better keep an eye out or I shall steal her from your team!" He says with a chuckle to which Jeff shrugs proudly.

As we all begin leaving after finalising the promotional activities, Jeff congratulates me and Chris.

"Let's have a quick discussion about how this entire week shall look like and prepare accordingly. Please get all team members in the conference room."

That's how I and Chris end up on the much cursed 16th floor, again, waiting for the meeting room to be vacated before everyone arrives.

We stand with our backs to the wall in the hallway, listening to a Hindi song by sharing my AirPods.

"It's a lovely song! What does the title mean? I keep hearing that word over and over." Chris asks as he listens to the song 'Shayad' from the movie 'Love Aaj Kal'.

"Shayad means maybe." I sing the chorus for him and explain the meaning when I hear a familiar voice.

"You sing really well." It's Suga who comments from an open room located adjacent to the wall.

"Animnida (No, I don't)," I say with an embarrassed smile. He is so far away that our voices echo around the hallway.

"You sing way better than me!" He retorts in a cocky manner.

I walk closer to where he is to avoid this loud back and forth when I find Jimin and Jungkook there as well. I glance at Jungkook who holds my gaze with a blank expression and then looks away. Uhm...okay!

"But then you rap way better than most people including me!" I say to Suga.

He blinks with an 'I got caught' smile, "That's not fair."

I shrug as I hear someone call them. Jimin and Suga begin to leave while Jungkook and I continue to stand there, awkwardly. Why isn't he leaving?

It's getting more uncomfortable by the minute when I sense him to be quieter than usual. Did something happen?

"Are you okay?" I blurt out. I see that blank look on his face slip for a moment, an expression of panic taking over. Recomposing his face, he quickly nods and excuses himself.

So, I turn and go back to find the conference room being vacated with an unsettling feeling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a long day, seeing Marques feels like the best thing. He pulls me into a bear hug as I enter his apartment, placing a kiss on the top of my head. Yeah, tall guy things.

"I have ordered some Chinese, go change quick." He says while moving towards the kitchen.

I put on one of his overlarge t-shirts and the boxers I had left here the last time. My stomach growls loudly as I smell the food.

"This looks delicious!" I say while helping myself with a huge portion of noodles. The taste really impresses me, the spice is just right!

A couple of bites later, I see Marques chewing his food carefully, his eyes analysing my face. "I have something to tell you."

I nod and offer my full attention to what he wants to say.

"My mom has been diagnosed with 2nd stage lung cancer." The worry on his face suddenly becomes visible that was hidden under his smile. "She was experiencing pain, so the doctor insisted on some tests. The results came in today."

"Oh gosh! When are they starting with chemo?" This is not what I was expecting!

"As soon as possible." He says, putting down his chopsticks.

"When are you leaving for home?" This makes him look up at me in surprise like he wasn't expecting this question.

"I have booked a flight for tomorrow, late in the morning. That's the earliest available."

He motions me to continue eating which makes me point at his uneaten food, and we begin stirring the noodles in the plate.

"You should have called me up," I say without any anger or upset in my voice.

"I knew today was important for you! You didn't even sleep last night to prepare for the meeting. I didn't want to worry or bother you, actually." I roll my eyes at the last part, but I don't get to be mad at this point.

We finish dinner hurriedly and go to bed to spendsome time together. It's gonna be tough for me if he's away for long!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, guys! Sorry for the late update. I hope you enjoy this chapter. Spoiler alert for next chap: JK POV! Do vote and comment your suggestions and thoughts! Love ya, readers & ARMYs!!!