Chapter 29

Today is the worst Monday I have ever had to bear. I thought I would end up crying after coming home last night but somehow, I was asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. 

So, I drag myself to work the next morning, contemplating if I should have skipped, and try my best at being normal. I can break the news about my break-up to my friends later.

I am buried deep into the Dynamite project when I get called upstairs to collect some files for a meeting with the VP and Jeff. I wait for the staff member outside a practice room that is playing BTS' music. He soon ushers me inside and enquires about which file is required by the VP.

I can see BTS learning some new choreographies but all I feel is this void in my chest. How could I not be excited by this sight?

An irritated Jungkook breaks away from the formation and saunters over to the watercooler beside me while the others rest on the floor. He greets me in a tired voice and continues to chug cold water from the cooler.

The staff is nowhere to be seen after leaving me to wait here awkwardly. My patience is running thin as this is taking too long when I notice Jungkook's shoelaces have come undone.

"Jungkook-shi," I call out, ready to point out his shoe when his intimidating look stops me at once. Okay, whatever, I'm out! "Never mind," I mutter quietly. I guess I'll just wait outside!

"Could I tell you something without offending you?" Jungkook suddenly asks me.

"Sure." Oh, that tone doesn't sound good!

"I would really appreciate it if we could just be colleagues. I know in the past I may have unintentionally...made things look otherwise. We are of the same age, but I think it would be better if we were professionals..." I allow my head to hang low with my hair hiding the hurt look on my face.

What?! Colleagues? Professionals? Did I do something that wasn't just that? Have I somehow been too friendly? But was it okay when he needed someone to watch a movie with?

I can feel the confusion and anger rising in me because it's not fair. But the last thing I want is to quarrel over this in front of everyone. "I am really sorry if I ever acted out of line or tried being more than a colleague. It was not my intention to make you uncomfortable. I really apologise." Tears prick my eyes as my throat starts closing up.

I can feel the entire weekend weighing down on me with the throbbing in my head getting louder by the second.

"Here. It has entire the schedule for the performance inside including international dates." I hear the staff tell me as he returns, interrupting Jungkook.

I quickly take it from his hand without looking up and get out of there. But as I step out of the practice room, I hear a murmur behind me with the staff calling out to ask if I'm okay. Yeah, I'm not stopping to confirm that!

Inside the restroom, I hurry to a vacant stall before the waterworks begin and try to calm the hell down. But the tears won't stop. Stupid! Stupid me! I can't even sob due to the fear of anyone else overhearing me.

Because I really need to get to that meeting, I take a deep breath and put on a poker face.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time I reach home, I receive a text from Marques which eases some of the stress from today.

Marques: I have landed and reached home safely. How was your day?

Me: Just got home right now.

As soon as I hit send and walk to my bedroom to change, he FaceTimes me.

"What's up?" His happy face greets me with a smile even though he looks pretty jet-lagged.

"Reached home!" I put the phone down on the bed to change into some comfortable clothes for the night.

I take the phone with me to the kitchen so that I can prepare a side dish to go with my dinner.

"What are you cooking? I have never seen that before." He says as I'm making a batter for frying thin slices of potato.

I murmur a reply while getting ready to put the potatoes in the hot oil. Marques goes on to tell me about his ride home and the culture shock he experienced after reaching the US.

"It's so early in the morning here. I'll be leaving to meet mom at the hospital soon and then I'll go to sleep."

"Can you show me what you are cooking? I can't see!"

I keep ignoring his playfulness even though it helps with how down I'm feeling.

"You don't seem okay."

"I'm alright, just tired! My day wasn't so good." I reply, giving him a half-hearted confession so that he can move on from the topic.

"Okay, so let me just say this to you! Don't interrupt me." I nod, pretending to concentrate on the task at hand. "I know we aren't together anymore, but you can always talk to me. You would want to move on and find a new bestie—" That earns him a genuine chuckle from me, "—but I am here. It's okay to be friends with your ex!"

"Seriously, bestie? Is that all you got?"

"I am your bestie. Who else is gonna replace me? Chris? Oh c'mon!"

After some more back and forth, I hang up and get to my dinner. It feels like I haven't had meals alone in a long time. A sigh escapes my mouth as I set down my plate and sit on the floor just like old times. Guess it's time to move on!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys! I am really sorry about the late update!! I wasn't happy with this chapter and had to re-work it, so it took a while! So, I wanted to share an update with y'all: Mi Amor won 2nd place in the Tricolour Triennial Awards Fanfic category! These feats really encourage me to keep working on the story even though there aren't many readers. Thanks a lot to y'all for all the love and support. Love y'all, readers & ARMYs!