MineFields

Nickolas' POV

A million thoughts in my head, i walk towards the landing. I continue to watch as Ally and Marco come down the stairs, hand in hand. Cameras flash, as they capture the first glipse of wife of the oldest Bishop son.

And my heart aches, it should have been me by her side, these memories that no one will forget, that are now sealed in paper, should have been with me. As they approach the landing, my eyes focuses on Marco.

This morning before Ally and i went out, he came to me and we talked. He can't help what he feels, but i just needed him to understand and respect that Ally is mine, irrespective of whatever problems she and i may have, and he needs to pull his shit together. That said, we put what happened last night behind us and will move forward like we always have, like brothers. He'll be fine.

He speaks as soon as they step foot on the landing.

"Everyone came down and she was left alone waiting for you for some time. Her mother asked me to go and get her, so i did" He says to me, stepping aside.

I nod and hold out my hand to her and she takes it. She smiles at Marco and mumbles a soft 'Thank you'.

"Am sorry" i say simply. I don't want to make excuses, the meeting could have waited. I told her to wait for me, that i will pick her up from the room, then i delayed and let her down.

"Its ok, you were busy" she murmurs back, but she sounds hurt. And at that moment, what she said about Marco being there for her when am not comes back to mind. She relies on him, she can count on him. And now i feel like shit.

Putting the discovery of the recent discussion on hold and at the back of my mind to be dealt with later, i focus all my attention on her. This is our night.

"You look beautiful" i say,  looking her over. She smiles, genuinely this time.

"Thank you, are you trying to butter me up?"

"Maybe, c'mon" i say, placing my hand on the small of her back, her soft skin warm against my hand. I lead her to some of the crowd in the gallery. I feel most of the eyes fall on us almost immediately we step into the room.

The room is decorated beautifully, the lights, flowers and art wonderfully done. Potraits and pictures of family members and random designs have always covered the walls on some points in the room, but tonight, there is one particular addition that seems to be drawing some attention, one am eager to show her.

But before i have a chance to show her, we are already drawn into the masses as people are eager to talk to us.

"Nickolas, my boy. So you got married in secret uuhmmm?"

"Lorrenzo! " Recognising the voice i turn around and find the kind old man with a wide smile on his face. He pulls me in for a hug and steps back to survey Ally.

"My my my, you truely outdid yourself here Nickolas, this one is a beauty, with kind eyes, and young too, thats gives you plenty of time for the babies, very smart move there." he winks and raises her hand to his lips kissing it soft. Ally laughs and takes to him already.

"Lorrenzo Rancic at your service. A good friend of your husband. A pleasure to meet you" he bows slightly.

"Alaia Crowe, the pleasure is mine."

"Later, you will tell me how this man swept you off  your feet no, i find him quite boring to be honest?" he says, kissing her hand again.

And that is the order of the night, introductions and small talk. For the most part, it's pleasant, but occassionally someone would inquire what she does professionally, and i can see how that makes her uncomfortable.