Waiting to Exhale

Alaia's POV

Nick walks, out banging the door behind him. 

The happiness that i had allowed myself to feel earlier this morning, is fast evaporating. We are back to fighting again.

I can't help the hurt building in my chests. I get his frustration from my silence, but i was caught off guard and this is something i thought i would never have to address again, i didn't know what to say to him right now.

I don't even know how to process this anymore. I feel like my life has been torn open over the past couple of weeks and i have to face and address every issue i thought i was done and dusted. It only goes to show how naïve i truly was, to believe everything will be so simple and straight forward, and that my life will go on like none of this ever happened once this is over.

 Every time two steps i take forward, i go backwards a step. A few minutes ago, I thought Nick and I can have a chance, like a real chance, but I should have known better than to get carried away like that. I can only imagine what he thinks of me now, what his family are thinking of me right now. 

What Marco and Allessio must think of me. They have been so wonderful to me, and maybe that is about to change, and Lola, she is like a sister to me.  I am sure she will treat me differently now too.

*

I was still standing in the middle of the room where Nick left me, thinking about my options. I don't want to talk about this, so can't i just go and live out the rest of our marriage at home with my family? What's the point of staying here with all these problems. It might just be better for everyone if i wasn't here.

Aaron knocks once and enters the room finding me sitting on the floor, leaving against a table.

"Ally?  Are.. are you alright?" he asks.

I stand up straight wiping my face, incase of any stray tears, and nod. 

"Let's go then" he says, leading the way.

We enter the car and Nicole joins us. 

I don't know where Nick just wen, he told told me he wasn't working today. My heart hurts again thinking of  what he must be thinking of me now.

"So... I guess it's true since you are here and Nick isn't" Nicole taunts, and i hold back a snort.

"Babe.. leave her alone.. this is not our business" Aaron says.

"But it is. Every newspaper is talking about Nickolas Bishop's wife. Don't let the blindness and innocent face fool you, you definitely do get around. And to think at only sixteen, you got pregnant, and got rid of the baby? oh my, well that's quite courageous of you. But do you realise the embarrassment you have brought upon the family, and especially Nick? What will his colleagues and business associates think of him? They will lose all respect for him, can you just imagine th......."

"Enough Nicole. Enough. One more word about this and i am sending you back home" Aaron snaps at her.

I feel the hurt and anger building and burning inside me. 

I refuse to breakdown in front of her, so i hold my head high and turn towards the window like i usually do. I don't owe her any explanation.

"So, this operation, it's experimental right?" she says out of the blue.

"Babe??" Aaron warns her, seemingly frustrated at this point.

"It's a different subject altogether  my love...Are we not even allowed to talk to her at all or what?" She innocently asks her husband.