Chapter 18: Lonely

"A mission?" You asked Megumi who was sitting on your bed with you, eating sweets Gojo bought for his students.

"Yea, we're leaving tomorrow with the Auxiliary Manager Nitta. We'll get more details about it then." He responds plopping another sweet in his mouth.

"Have you told the others about it yet?" You ask.

"I already texted them." He answers finishing his last piece of sweets and lies down next to you.

There was a moment of silence and you flickered your gaze to Megumi and your fidgeting hands. He saw your impatient squirming hands that were rested on your lap. It usually meant that you had something on your mind. He grabs both your hands with one of his to stop them from moving, he sits back up and looks at your side profile that was still facing your now intertwined hands.

"Out with it." He says softly holding your hands. You didn't seem uncomfortable more like you were curious about something. He seemed to already know your patterns from hanging out with you almost everyday.

You start playing with his hand using starlight to keep yourself entertained while you spilled the beans on what you wanted to ask.

"Before... what was the real reason you didn't want to meet me?" You asked still playing with his hand. Caressing different spots with your warm fingertips that you allowed starlight to illuminate from.

He had slightly parted lips and lifted eyebrows from the question. Quickly he regained his usual composure and looked down also staring at the three hands that played together in harmony.

"It's not really that I didn't want to meet you specifically... I guess I was just someone...." he trails off struggling to answer your genuine question.

"You know I was really mad when I found out that you weren't willing to give me a chance before you even knew what I looked like." You say with a playful smile. "I was going to let dad record us if we ended up brawling" you say chuckling.

Megumi sweat dropped and rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry..."

You shake your head dismissing his apology. "That's why dad called you to that one restaurant remember? That was the same day I accidentally became a vessel and was registered as "missing" it's a real shame I met that curse before you.." you say with a sad smile.

"I'm actually glad you met the me now than the one then.." Megumi says barely above a whisper.

"Why's that?" You ask very curiously.

Megumi sighs and furrows his brows a tad. "I'm not really proud of the way I used to view people then. No matter if you were good or bad, I always found a way to push them away." He finishes leaning his head on your shoulder still looking at your hands that carefully handle his own, as if they would break in your grasp.

You chuckle a bit leaning your head on his. "You know... I was actually the same way before I actually made a friend. Everyone I went to school with always found a way to piss me off indirectly. Whether it be drama or how hard they tried to be accepted by social norms. I was a loner by choice... but..."

"But?" Megumi asks wanting to continue now that you admitted that you were actually somehow similar to him in a way.

"But.. I was lonely. I was alone by my own means... but I couldn't help the feeling of wanting to need someone and them wanting me. That's why I like being dependable for you guys. I admit it's a bit selfish but dad once told me that it's ok to be like that sometimes."

Megumi stays quiet repeating your words over and over again in his head. Making sure to milk each syllable to their last meaning. He was lost in thought before the girl next to him speaks up again.