Chapter 40: You scared?

At the bottom of Jujutsu High: Tombs of The Star Corridor

"Master Riko." Kuroi calls out. "This is as far as I go. Master Riko please take-"

Her farewell was interrupted by Riko wrapping her arms around her body, tears filling both their eyes. They knew this will be the last time they would talk, look, hold, and cry together. The last time they would see their family again.

"Kuroi! I love you! Always! Now and forever!" Riko exclaims, squeezing her caretaker tighter. Kuroi hugs back with the same pressure, not wanting to let go but, she knows her duties.

"I love you too!" Kuroi said. Geto watched over the two ladies with sympathy painted on his face.

————

Riko and Geto walk their way through one tunnel, silence overlapping their breathing. An unnerving atmosphere surrounding them.

"Is this..?" Riko asks quietly.

"Yes." Geto answers, nearing the end of the tunnel. "We're just outside of where Master Tengen resides. This is the country's base for primary barriers. The main hall of The Tombs of The Star!"

There was a gargantuan tree being surrounded by a surplus of buildings. The structures almost looked ancient and rotting, yet there was still a divine pressure that accompanied the view.

"Go down the stairs and pass the gate. Then head toward the base of that huge tree." Geto points in the direction he was instructing. Riko listened with a sorrowful expression and swollen eyes, the burden of the merger now weighing on her mind.

"It's protected by a different barrier than the one around Jujutsu High. Only those invited may enter. You'll be protected by Master Tengen till the merger." Geto says calmly. "... or you can turn back... and return home with Kuroi." He suggested.

The girl's eyes become large from shock. She turns to the sorcerer next to her in confusion.

"What?"

"When we were assigned this mission by our teacher, he referred to the merger as an "earasure". It's as if he looked at it as something wrong. For a guy that smart he tends to beat around the bush. So Satoru and I came to a decision before we met you."

————

~FLASHBACK TO START OF THE MISSION~

"If the kid who is the star plasma vessel should refuse the merger. We call it off!" Satoru announced, playing with coins in his hand.

Geto giggled at his remark, hand in his pockets in a carefree manner. "You sure about that?"

"Huh?"

"We might have to fight Master Tengen." Geto said with a playful grin.

"You scared?" Gojo asked his best friend with a cocky smirk.

"Not really we should be fine."

————

~BACK TO THE PRESENT~

"We're the strongest. No matter what you choose, we promise to protect you and your future." Geto says.

Riko's lips quiver from his proposition, her eyebrows scrunched up, desperately trying not to cry.

She then uses her shaky voice to explain that her whole life had simply revolved around the idea of her life being "special." A type of special where it would only lead to this day. She believed that even when her parents died in a car accident, her being special would help her feel less lonely.