Chapter 53: Counting on me

Nanami's footsteps echo through the empty walkways of Shibuya Station, his shoes clapping the floor gently. His breathing very quiet and tranquil, the oxygen around him either blessing him or cursing him.

His entire left side was burnt to a crisp, almost unrecognizable. His blond locks no longer held onto his usual neat hairstyle, downcast, almost covering his eyes. Or now, eye.

His right hand held onto his cleaver as tight as his muscles allowed at the moment, tired. So very tired.

He turned a corner and walked down a fight of stairs, leading to a large group of curses.

He tilts his head upwards, worn out from all the fighting and bloodshed. He blows out air from his mouth, his eyes half lidded.

"Malaysia...yeah, Malaysia... Kuantan would be nice." He muttered.

'Build a house on a secluded beach. Finally get around to the countless books I've bought but never read. Go through them page by page... kinda like taking back time I've lost.' Nanami dreamed.

'No, right now you're... you're heading to save Fushiguro... but what about Maki... and Naobito? What happened to them?'

His thoughts wander a bit longer. His mind in a daze as to what to do, the beautiful reflection of the sea in the sky, along with a calm cloud formation that he imagined in his head.

'Tired... so tired. Yeah, I'm just tired. I've done enough haven't I?'

Getting to work, he slashed relentlessly at the curses that he found before him. Cutting through rotten flesh and corroding bones. Cleanly.

Discoloured blood pour out of the monsters, staining the floor under them.

More slashing.

More blows.

More cuts.

More.... more.

No more.

Behold.

A stitched hand, it's palm rested on Nanami's chest. He looks down upon it and to the person, or thing it belonged to.

"I didn't know you were here." Nanami says

"Yup. The whole time." Mahito replies. "Wanna chat? We go way back, after all."

The blue haired curse's smile never drops as Nanami looks down at the floor with a thoughtful face.

'Haibara... what the hell was I trying to do anyway? I ran. Even though I ran away, I came back with a vague reason of finding the work worthwhile.' Nanami thinks, hoping his deceased classmate might lend him some guidance.

He looks back up, his friend leading him to the answer.

Nanami looks to the side to were Haibara was pointing.

Mahito looks in the same direction, finding two people that just made their way there.