Chapter 66: You're right

"Pardon my tongue, however those cretins deserve nothing but hell

"Pardon my tongue, however those cretins deserve nothing but hell." Deidamia's displeasure was palpable for those that could hear in the tavern.

Aster gently set her jug on the wooden table lit by a single candle in the middle. "They're only boys, Dami. Being obnoxious is what you're supposed to do at that age." Aster said. "Please be civil."

Deidamia grumbles but nonetheless, complied.

They were out after tending to their village jobs. Deidamia being a seamstress and Aster being the florist at the corner store. Their place they called home was a place that was ahead in technological advances, unbeknownst to them since the rural area was quite ... well, rural.

They wanted leisure time as best friends since it had been a while, but with rowdy boys in the next table over, Deidamia was almost at her breaking point.

"Aster, I'm quite close to getting violent." Deidamia deadpans after one of the boys almost knock their table over for not looking where he was going.

"Do. Not." Aster's soft voice was resolute.

Deidamia grumbles again.

"Anyways, that new customer of yours... you both seem close." Aster swerves the conversation elsewhere, a hidden tone in her voice.

"Who?" Deidamia totally blanks.

"The one with (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes. I don't recall his name. He seemed like a tourist." Aster looks down at her jug.

"Hmm... I don't remember faces that have no importance to me, you know that. But I think I do know who you're talking about. He kept asking our shop's owner about the caves around here." Deidamia placed an elbow on the table, resting her chin on her palm.

"The caves that have a red glow at night?" Aster perks up.

"I suppose so, but why should we pay mind to that? What about you, any luck with your experiments?" Deidamia leans closer to Aster across the table, interest flashing in her eyes.

Aster deflates. "No... no matter what two species of flower I combine, they just don't work."

"The fruit of your efforts will grow, As. Trust in me." Deidamia's hand lands on the other woman's.

Aster intertwines their fingers together. "I promise, you will be the first to see when it happens."

Deidamia remains silent, but smiles to the best of her ability.