Chapter 9 - The roof

The next day I wake up at noon and jump in the shower. I put on my black bodysuit and loose pants again and comb my hair. I walk down to the breakfast room, but it's slightly overcrowded. I just take a cup of orange juice and go back to the lobby. There's a lot going on in the pool area for this time, but I don't really have the nerves for that, so I stroll through the aisles of the hotel and look around a little bit. At some point I discover a door that leads to the roof and notice that there is no one here. I walk to the edge and make myself comfortable. It's not too loud, I don't get annoyed by drunk people and you have a good overview of the outdoor area. I'm watching the people down there, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't want to be like that. They compensate for this weird world with everything the beach offers.

I imagine recognizing who has a chance to think long and who doesn't. For a few, I can also see or rather suspect what their strengths and weaknesses are. I close my eyes for a moment and feel the sun on my skin. I've lost a little bit of time and I'm trying to relax.

"It's weird, isn't it"

I am slightly frightened and turn to the voice. Chishiya stands there and has his apparently typical look at it: slightly raised eyebrows, a slight grin and cool eyes. He is wearing white-blue swimming trunks and his white vest. He has his hands in his pockets, but this time he does not wear the hood of the vest. So I can see that his hair extends slightly over the neck and his face is framed by two white-blonde strands. The zipper is only half closed, so part of his chest is exposed.

"How they try to displace it all"

"Yes, I've noticed that," I say, looking down again. Chishiya sits next to me at the edge and looks down as well. I drink a little of my orange juice and am grateful for the cooling.

"Your game was pretty okay"

"Thank you," I say, looking at him. Until now, I couldn't really see his face because he was either wearing this hood or was too far away. But he's pretty pretty I have to admit. "But I'm glad I didn't have to play against you"

"Mhm, why?" he asks, nodding a little. I can see that he knows it but is a little surprised that I got it behind it.

"I've seen your view of the players. I could only see one weakness of all of them, but you looked as if you knew each of their steps.

"Votes. You don't seem as stupid as most here"

First of all, I would like to reply, but I realise that it just seems to be his way. His slightly high-nose look, the way he moves and I've seen him talk to almost no one yet.

"I just take that as a compliment," I say simply so he doesn't think I'm offended. He looks down and just grins a little. I don't know why, but I follow his gaze and also grin slightly.

"Are you always sitting up here and observing the people?" I try to continue the conversation after a short silence. It's not that I'm uncomfortable sitting there in silence. But I got a little curious.

"Sometimes. I like to keep an eye on everything and from time to time I just want my peace"

Does he think I'm bothering him right now or is he just being honest and saying what it's like? I look back at him and try to see something in his face, but I can't see a single emotion.

"I can go again if I disturb you"

He looks back at me and makes a questioning noise, as if he had just been thinking and hadn't really heard my question.

"I didn't mean that"

I smile and nod slightly before looking down again. I can see from the corner of my eye that he looks at me for a moment longer and then looks down again. Suddenly I hear a loud bang and turn around. I get up and walk curiously to the other side of the roof and look at the square behind the hotel. There are three of the military troops and on the floor lies a woman in a bikini. She has multiple gunshot wounds and is bleeding very badly, but she seems to be dead. One of the people in the military laughs and seems to command the other two. I recognize the shirt and know it has to be Niragi. The other two grab the woman and throw her into a container over which a blue tarpaulin is stretched. Next to me, Chishiya appears and looks at the whole thing carefree.

"How often does something like this happen here?"

"More and more often. The military troops are getting more and more daring and Danma is no longer in control of them"

I wonder if the woman down there really violated a beach rule. The military troops seem to be no stranger sit-down and even seem to bring a little joy to them. I'm fed up with the sight and go back to the other side of the roof, but i'm still standing with slightly shaky legs. This time I'm watching people and Just wish I didn't get that. I try to get the bang out of my head and focus on the music. Despite the sun shining down on us, I have a slight goosebumps and I'm a little cold. I swipe my hair behind my ear and close my eyes for a moment to take a deep breath.

"I think I'm going back in, I'm getting too warm here in the blazing sun," I say, opening the door.

"Until then," he says, still carefree, waving his typical grin to say goodbye.