Chapter 99 - Morpheus endless sleep

The young man still blinks in amazement and nods silently. Of course, we normal people assumed that I would try to talk to him for my own benefit, possibly deceive him and manipulate him to win. That's why it's important to slowly make him understand that I'm not playing a false game with him. That doesn't mean I will make it easy for him to win, in due time I will do everything I can to survive, after all it is human nature to fight for it.

"You bring me the same advantages as I bring you, but we have no disadvantages for now," I reassure his doubts. "The sooner you die, the more wasted time I have invested in you."

"Pretty straightforward," he curls his lips, and I return his gaze unflinchingly. It was a bold phrase, but it clearly shows my candor and might gain his trust. If he dies, it will bring me many disadvantages. If I keep him alive, I have a better chance myself. "Moku, that's what my friends call me."

"Sayuuri."

I understand his inhibitions to start a conversation, it also makes me nervous which is why we remain with silence next to each other for now. I lower my gaze and gently stroke the water in the pool with my index finger to satisfy my curiosity and find out the temperature. I suspect it's seven degrees at most, perfect for waking up and shaking off the fatigue for the time being. However, I should use this tool at an appropriate time: Swimming right at the beginning might have the purpose that the effectiveness of the cold will not have the same effect later when I need it. But I can't put it off forever either, because if the physical manifestations of sleep deprivation get worse, the cold will exhaust the body and make it tired.

"If we don't communicate with each other, this alliance won't do any good," I say after a quarter of an hour. All this time I have been sitting silently and patiently next to him, letting him choose the initial topic. He, however, has been drumming his fingers restlessly on his knee for the past few minutes, which I have left uncommented until this point. "We can pretty much talk about anything, the two back there have been talking since the beginning and you can't understand what they're saying. All the participants have spread out about the same distance, which means they'll also just see us talking but not hear our words."

"I still don't quite get it. Why would I honestly say anything about myself if it could backfire on me, and what makes me think you're not making this all up as you go along?"

"Only one of us gets out of here alive," I reply, pursing my lips slightly gloomily, "If I'm dishonest, the truth dies with me and so will you. And isn't it a nice idea when you can be completely honest if you end up losing the game?"

"I hadn't thought of it that way," he swallows hard and lowers his eyes to the white and blue tiles. A tired smile creeps onto my lips and I do the same. To be completely sincere for once in Borderland. I think it's the first game where you don't have to hold back on the truth. I've always been careful what I've shared with those around me, even my closest confidants. But in this game, only one can survive:

If I'm dead, he can't use that information against me anymore, so I don't need to hold back. And if I survive, what is said dies along with Moku. Either I can die with a pure soul having said everything, or I live and had a chance to really speak out.

"I guess you're right," he admits and I nod thoughtfully, "I've survived five games, I think that's a relatively large number, but it's my first heart game."

He's probably heard of the heart category, that's why he's so cautious. My eyes roam over the other contestants, maybe I picked the wrong ally. He could be questioning everything, replaying every word I say in his head to pick out the manipulation. But he's the most talkative teammate and doesn't seem violent, I'm convinced I made the right choice nonetheless.