Chapter 38 - A boring day at the beach

Since the brief moment in the hospital, however, I feel a lot more relaxed and clearer. After a cold shower, I quickly dry up and only put on the black bodysuit. In the cupboard mirror, I check how my wounds and bruises subside. At the back I still have the puncture wounds from the glass shards and of course the big wound, which has formed an ugly crust. My ribs have turned purple on one side, but the bruises on my arms and legs have disappeared. Then there's the slightly swollen and burst cheekbone on the top left, but if I leave my hair open, it doesn't look that way. My hand still hurts a little, but that is probably my least problem.

I sit on the unmade bed and drive over my neck. After i've cloaked myself out of the bathroom with a body lotion, I take the cold coffee from my bedside table and open my new book. The music from outside bothers me after a while and I put on headphones to lower the volume.

At some point, reading becomes too boring for me, so I've been doing stretching exercises for a long time and then sit down on my bed again with my drawing block. I drive through my hair and after two small scribbles I also put the block away. Yuudai has one of his guard shifts in front of the hotel, so table kickers are gone. Izumi is registered as a kitchen assistant this week and I couldn't find Kuina anywhere.

In the last few days I have noticed some changes here in the beach, which I can not really classify yet. The hatmaker is either in his room or in the conference room, as the military squad brings more and more people to the beach. Lately I hear more shots than usual behind the hotel and in most cases I recognize Niragi there. Something is slowly getting out of balance here, but I think Aguni is pretty much holding back in it.

I put on my white dress and decide to visit Izumi. She is certainly happy about the company and I can get something small to eat from the kitchen. After assisting Ann yesterday, I just poked around in my food at dinner with Kuina. But despite having to hand myself in almost twice, I thought I was doing quite well.

Since the lunch has just been issued, the kitchen service is no longer in a rush. I take an ice cream cup from one of the freezers and sit armed with a spoon on the kitchen counter next to my girlfriend.

"Hi Izumi, how long do you have to stay here?"

"Definitely still for the washing up, I guess an hour about," she replies, and with a playable compassionate look, I hold the ice cream. Gratefully, she accepts it and my attention is drawn by a man who gives instructions to the people here.

"Is this the new chef here?" I ask, confused. When Kuina told me about him, I actually imagined a middle-aged man with a small ramp. But I definitely didn't expect anyone like that.

"He's sweet, isn't it?" she says, giving me the ice cream cup again. I just shrug my shoulders, but I have to admit that I am surprised. I'm having an opportunity and I'm grinning.

"Have you talked to him?"

Her lips sharpen for a moment before she starts grinning. I realize that she turns a little red, but she turns her gaze away. Come On Izumi, say it.

"Honestly, there's somebody lately"

"Really?" I try to stay serious and take a large spoonful of coconut ice cream. The fact that Izumi hasn't yet turned to the new chef has meant that the matter with Yuudai and her has become more serious. She seems a little happier and more balanced than usual lately. It's okay that she hasn't told me anything about it yet, but that doesn't mean I can't point it out.

"Yes, but I'd love to keep it for myself a little bit if it's okay. I don't quite know what he thinks of this thing yet," she says, looking at me with her big eyes.

"Clearly no problem. When you're ready," I just smile at her and she hugs me happily. Despite still grinning like a honeycake horse, I know the conversation is over. My view falls on one of the shelves in the background, most of the supplies are already used up again.

"When will the next group go on a supply tour again?"

"I think tomorrow. Why do you want to register?"

"It's possible, who always rides like that?"

"About three from the military squad to the security, with Aguni and his people mostly going on their own tour. Then our new chef and some volunteers"

Coming out of the hotel for a whole day doesn't sound so wrong. And finding some food together shouldn't be too strenuous, sounds more like vacation than work.

"Can you register for tomorrow?"

"Definitely. Why do you find the chef so sweet?" she smiles mischievously, but I just turn my eyes.

"Sure," I say sarcastically.