Chapter 104 - Murderous triangle

Arisu' s point of View

"This... is a laser tag hall," I whisper, my eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness. Karube once dragged Chota and me into one of these halls to do something together and get me away from my computer. The walls, strictly speaking, do not form a labyrinth in their overall structure, they create narrow corridors that are interwoven with each other. In my experience, there shouldn't be many dead ends, but there are no hiding places either. My head turns upwards and from my position I recognize three constructions, which reach higher than the two-meter wall structures. They are lookout towers, perfect to get an overview!

The middle tower seems close to my current position, just memorizing the turns in the path creates an incredible advantage and possibly with a little luck in the darkness I can also spot the hunter. In the game in the apartment complex, the hunters distinguished themselves from the participants by wearing horse masks in addition to their machine guns. Perhaps it is the same and to give the players a chance, they are dressed in bright colors which are conspicuous in the black tube light.

Cautiously, I creep around the corners of the wall to head for the observation tower, but a loud bang makes me cringe. A lifeless body falls through the hatch of the right observation tower and, guided by instinct, I press myself against the nearest wall. My heart begins to race and, gasping, I press my back against the wall. The lookout tower seems to be no longer an option, a hunter has just shot one of the participants down from it. But how am I supposed to get an overview of the arena when fire has been opened on the lookouts?

Panicked, I try to slow my breathing rhythm and blink away the veil-like filter of my eyes. I feel the pulsing throb of my arm veins, and although I take deep, fear-warped breaths, I feel like I can't breathe. The observation towers offer the chance of an assessment of the arena, but if you are discovered you pay with your life. My mind wanders, weighing the pros and cons, as these high points of the field are too tempting.

Still undecided, my feet move in the direction of the tower. Without an overview to memorize, I run the risk of running into one of the hunters or getting lost in a chase. In the Tik-Tak-Toe game, my spatial awareness made it easier to see through the game. If I can sneak up unnoticed I risk getting shot, but in return I gain a logical knowledge of what is going on in the warehouse.

I step quietly around the last corner between me and the observation tower, but stiffen at the sight. The normally freely accessible paths to the next level have been blocked, and the viewing platform can only be reached via a strenuous and arduous climb. Growling in annoyance, I approach a climbing station for pull-ups and swing myself up. The dead participant must have been a climber like Usagi, athletically fit and up to a physical game.

The first bead of sweat makes its way across my forehead as I shimmy halfway up the detour. The lookout tower seemed like an easy invitation, but you can't get up here without diligence. The game in general is physically inclined, so why does it qualify as a diamond game?

With difficulty, I pull myself up the last wooden beam and remain on my back. On the one hand to catch my breath for the obvious observer, on the other to remain undetected from the shooter. Only when my heartbeat has calmed down do I straighten up and hide behind one of the wooden bars. The arena is wide and large, I think I've spotted one of the hunters, but I don't dare look any further to be discovered.

I try to recall the impressions I have memorized in the short term and analyze the structures of the arena in my mind. The drawn black walls do not form a labyrinth as suspected, yet there are dead ends that could become dangerous if the hunters are pursued. The number is manageable, I can count them on both hands. But to be really sure, I have to risk another look.