Chapter 77 - If you fly too close to the sun ...

I turn to the side and accept falling off the back seat of the car, but instead I feel a soft blanket next to me. Still half asleep, I draw my eyebrows together in confusion and feel my hand over the side of the bed beside me.

"Can you kindly remove your hand from my face?" says a sleepy voice beside me, and it takes me a moment to realize it's not Chishiya. Momentarily, I jolt up until a pain runs through my entire body and I wince.

"Ann?"

"Yeah, relax," she says sternly but as I look to her a slight smile curls her lips. I try to remember our last match and the time after, but the last thing I can remember is falling asleep on Chishiya's back and hearing his voice as if from a distance. The pain slowly subsides and I realize that I am lying snuggled up on the bed in my room. Next to me on the floor, the woman with the raven-black, shoulder-length hair sits leaning against the bed, resting.

"What are you doing here? Well I'm happy but my memory gaps are a little fragile at this hour," I ask, closing my eyes again.

"Chishiya and I took you to your room. I took care of your wound under your collarbone and still checked on your thigh. We thought it would be better if you stayed under supervision for at least one night because of the snake bite."

"So why are you sitting on the floor? It's no problem for me if you sleep in the seat or in the bed."

"Actually Chishiya was going to take the watch but after the meeting Tayuya came and still wanted to talk to him" she says and I pull a slight pout which Ann fortunately can't see because it's pretty dark in the room. No offense to Ann but after the exertions of the game, I'd just like to be with Chishiya. "I'll go as soon as he gets back. If I had laid down in bed I would have definitely fallen asleep and here I am close enough to hear your breathing"

"Me and my breathing are fine, you can go to sleep," I offer her and curl back into the pillow. From Ann's description I suspect I may have slept four hours which is why I just want to keep sleeping.

"You said you'd be fine last time you were poisoned, too," Ann reminds me dryly, putting her head back.

"Point taken, but you said Chishiya was coming soon. I think within that short time I already won't die on you," I mumble into the pillow.

"Well I don't know if he'll be back that soon. Last time they must have talked for two hours," she shrugs and I try not to exhale in disappointment. I know Ann doesn't mean anything by it, but I can forget about falling asleep right away. She's only been here at the Beach two-three days and he talks to her for two hours? That's more than my first week and a half here.

"That's okay Ann. I knew how many belly scales this type of snake had, so I know if the bite is poisonous or not," I assure her and sit up. She looks up at me and seems to be sighing and thinking, but I put on a big smile to show that I'm not about to die. With a roll of her eyes, she finally gives in and stands up. Not that I'm glad she's leaving but I'd really like a drink by now.

"Alright, but if anything comes up, you come straight to me," she says, crossing her arms in front of her chest again to clarify her words. I manage a smile, but she gives me a slightly critical look. I usually see her off with some line or sarcastic remark, she notices that my mood is a little depressed.

"Hey before you go, do I snore?", I ask her playfully thoughtful, tilting my head a little.

"No, but sometimes you talk when you dream," she grins and I look at her in wonder. I hope I didn't say anything too embarrassing. My look seems to amuse her and laughing she leaves the hotel room. I remain seated for a moment in case she has forgotten something else, then I slide forward to the edge of the bed and stand up carefully. I shift my weight to my left leg and look at the bandage on my right thigh.