Chapter 45 - Sangria Sunday

This time we do not lie down on the sunbeds, but occupy one of the group tables on the other side. I put the two glasses from the bar in front of us and Izumi places the three plastic bottles of sangria before she turns one up and pours in. I sit on the bench in the tailor's seat and as soon as I take my first sip, I close my eyes and just enjoy it. The sun warms my skin and it smells pleasantly of chlorine. The system is not yet turned up to full volume at this time and it plays Spanish music, it looks like a cozy and perfect Sunday.

"Today was your last day of kitchen service, wasn't it?" I ask curiously to find out if she still has to work in the restaurant tonight.

"Yes, at noon this day was my last shift, my hands are still quite scrambled from the washing up," she says, holding her fingers under my nose, but I push aside laughing. I look around a little and discover Yuudai on the other side of the pool. He seems to have noticed us a long time ago, but something keeps him from coming over to us.

"He feels bad because of what happened," Izumi tells me, "Yuudai thinks he's the last one you want to see and that you won't talk to him."

Confused, I look at her and shake my head incomprehensibly. I just turn my eyes and wave to Yuudai for him to come to us. Hesitantly, he sets himself in motion and when he stands in front of our table, he does not find the right words. I reach for a glass at the other end of the table, place it next to Izumi's and fill it with sangria. Yuudai smiles at me only gratefully and sits down with me. He shouldn't feel bad, after all, it was the job of the game. And I'm probably the last one who would resent him.

We sit there for about an hour and drink together, not missing the stealthy glances of the two. I don't know if it's because of alcohol or they really think I don't get it. I grin a comment and only look into my glass when the two of them look at me after one of these important glances. The two are really sweet together, even if it's not official yet. How they secretly smile or grin into themselves makes even my heart soften.

I give in again when Kuina sits next to me and looks at me grinning. As a welcome, I shove her slightly with my shoulder and reciprocate her grin. She lifts a fresh glass under my nose and laughs at it. When Izumi and Yuudai get into a conversation, Kuina leans a little towards me and speaks softly, while we don't let the other two out of sight.

"How are you?"

"Well, I think this is one of the most relaxed Sundays in a long time," I say honestly, leaning back before taking a big sip. She seems satisfied with my answer and is also leaning backwards.

"And how are you Kuina?"

"I could fall asleep here on the spot, I've been awake since half past five in the morning," she quis, playing, but she really looks a little exhausted.

"Because of the game yesterday?"

'That was okay. I was back with Ann, she wanted to see two new Beach members and her 'potential'"

"And did they have 'potential'?"

"No. Ann would have preferred to let her die in the game or then be suspended again," she says, fun,' but i can see from her tone that Ann seemed to have really thought about it.

"As long as nothing has happened to you," I say in response, and she looks at me with her loving gaze. She easily presses my wrist to signal that she appreciates it and that she cares the same. I can see from the corner of my eye that someone suddenly appears at the end of the table next to me and at first I think directly of Chishiya. But when I turn to that i have to admit, I'm slightly disappointed. 

In front of me stands the new chef, whom I helped on the last supply tour with the drinking boxes, and smiles at Izumi.

"Hey Katsu, do you want to sit down with us and drink sangria?" Izumi beams at him, nodding reluctantly. Kuina and I exchange a look and both move up so that Izumi and Yuudai can stay together. I reach for the sangria bottle and give the man next to me a glass. I immediately notice from his body language that this gesture makes him feel a little relaxed and relaxed.

"Sayuuri, isn't it?" he says, looking at me kindly. I just nod and Kuina immediately bends over and stretches out her hand.

"Kuina, you're the new chef," she says, and he accepts her hand in surprise of her openness, "Your rice goulash is fantastic.

"Thank you Kuina," he says kindly.

Yuudai seems to have an idea and apologizes briefly before running to the bar. When he comes back, he puts five small glasses on the table and a bottle of tequila. Laughing, I get up and take the tequila bottle from him. I fill the glasses to the edge and Yuudai distributes them to everyone. We all bump into each other and I drink the glass empty in one go. Yuudai and the new one look at me with big eyes and I have to think of something Norikita used to say.

"More alcohol than blood fits into this little body," I repeat her words and add a small glass. The others start a discussion about it, but my thoughts wander to my dead girlfriend. On you Norikita, I think and drink the glass again in memory of her.

"Since when are you here in the beach", I suddenly hear from the side and turn to Katsu.

"I don't know exactly anymore. Maybe a month," I ponder, realising how long I've been here. In the normal world, a month is nothing compared to a day here in Borderland. And what I have experienced since then, how many have died, is frightening.

"I've heard you're supposed to be pretty good at playing," he says, smiling, and I don't reply. What can be said about this? Katsu seems to be quite nice, but he is already asking me too many questions. I look at him to find out what he wants to do with it.

We sit here for quite a while and drink together. The new chef keeps asking me casual questions and even though I don't answer them all, I try to stay friendly. He doesn't seem to have anything bad in mind, but at some point I see Izumi. She just shrugs, which doesn't really answer my questions.

When I put my glass back on my mouth, my gaze automatically glides sideways up to the roof and I actually recognize a figure up there from this distance. Involuntarily, I have to grin and consider whether he is looking at us. I feel quite comfortable here between Izumi, Kuina, Yuudai and also with the new. But I can't help thinking what it would be like if Chishiya were with us.

"Sayuuri", tears me a strict voice out of my reflections and I look to Aguni, who stands in front of us with his arms crossed, "The hatmaker wants to talk to you"