Chapter 100 - Morpheus to Hades

Twenty-four hours have passed in the meantime, my eyes burn with fatigue and I can imagine that they are reddened. Time passes and I pay less and less attention to the individual beeps of the hour-displaying clock, which make me wince. With the soft dark gray towel I dry my skin parts, which are still marked by the cool water. I found it appropriate to draw some swimming laps, later it was not allowed to become. In the lockers of the washrooms were bathing suits, towels and several utensils like diving goggles or hair caps.

It was uncomfortable and strange to jump into the big water pool alone in a bathing suit in front of the other participants. On the one hand, it openly shows the others that I see the need in keeping myself awake although I really enjoyed this activity. But on the other hand, I feel alienated in exposing myself to such stares. The cold reminded me unpleasantly of my game, of the ice tub in the locker rooms in the team game.

I quickly change and put the towel around my neck before stepping in front of the mirror above the sink to fix my hair: Staying awake for an entire day seems to leave its distinct marks. I have to admit that I get very irritable with the ticking of the timer on the wall, and I have trouble following Moku's formulations all the time at certain intervals. But otherwise I'm fine, I guess my excessive sleeping habits at Beach are paying off. I stroll back to the pool hall where Moku is already waiting for me and together we head for the petty restaurant as agreed.

"So how was that little cool down?"

"Pretty good, but also unpleasant," I admit frankly, and as he climbs the stairs with a grin, I follow him. As our greedy gazes scrutinize the buffet, saliva pools in my mouth: In warming devices are quite a few variations of meat and side dishes such as rice and fried noodles, as well as vegetables. There are at least eight different cakes in a glass case and carafes of juices and sugary drinks on the table in the right corner. Moku rushes to the meat section and I intend to follow him. Into a large black bowl I scoop fried chicken with kohlrabi and rice, tossed in a pan with egg.

Together we sit down at one of the thin and wobbly tables and I enjoy the fantastic food. This selection of food is incredible, tempting already. While Moku points at the chicken and eats intently, I don't miss the sideways glance of the other person on this level. The woman in the pencil skirt stands hesitantly in front of the buffet selection, but she keeps squinting over at us with a scowl.

She hasn't sought out an ally and spends most of her time alone at her chosen place of establishment. Still, she doesn't really seem to be in her thoughts, because she never takes her eyes off the other participants. I don't think she considers the disadvantages of each of the tools, but she seems willing to win and strikes me as a character who will stop at nothing. Nevertheless, I could observe that she disappeared at the same time as the man on the stand in the direction of the washrooms and took much longer than necessary. Disgusted by the thought, I turn back to my food and my ally.

"What's that around your arm anyway?" he asks with his mouth full, and in surprise I look at the key bracelet on my wrist. It's strange, I've been wearing this Beach feature for quite some time, just always with differently stamped numbers. I like to blank out the fact that I'm wearing it at all. But now I look at the number with a gentle smile.

"It's kind of a distinguishing mark in Beach," I explain. He quickly noticed that I work with acquaintances in this world and I told him the superficial things. However, with the warning that if he wins this game and survives he should think twice about seeking out this community. A shuddering satisfied feeling creeps up my arm and I automatically think of who that lanyard belonged to before. He's been wearing it ever since we met.

The only comment I made to Moku was that there was a budding doctor in the Borderland and that my mother would be quite pleased to hear that. I never mentioned Chishiya's name and continued to think of him, but now I stop moving.