Chapter 88

Challengingly she looks at me and even if my good-humored mood as well as my smile sinks, I take a short time to analyse her. In the conference hall, I refrained from doing so; after all, I can't remember all the new members of the Beach and most of them die after only a few games. But she's distrustful, and thus definitely not a head case, it's worth my while to memorize some information about her first.

The first thing that immediately catches my eye is her muscular build, which I can make out despite her orange vest. It's not just her abs, which is why I rule out specific exercises for a perfect bikini figure, as most of the women here in the pool area are known to do. By the width of her shoulders, her straight sitting posture, and the filled-out vest sleeves, I note that her back and arms seem to be trained as well. The woman is athletically adept and probably has been for several years, but does that come from work or a recreational activity? I could size her up better if I knew. Her hair is cut short and the bangs keep it from constantly falling in her face, she could be practical which makes her a passable player.

Her hands are not manicured or gentle, they look rather rough and slightly scraped up in some places. She could often carry heavy boxes or something like that, so work in a warehouse or on a construction site. Hm, she doesn't wear perfume or flashy clothes, it looks more like a sports outfit. Maybe she was rowing, but then I probably would have recognized blisters on her hand sooner. I go through different sports in my head and narrowed it down to two different sports: swimming or climbing. Regardless of which one applies, they definitely give you an advantage in the games.

Satisfied with my conclusion, I try to hide a big grin. Of course she's noticed my patterning, but she doesn't seem to have completed her own yet. I am really curious about what is going on in her head right now. I put on a smile to cover the situation a bit and for a millisecond her eyes twitch in surprise.

"I'm Sayuuri, and you're...?"

"Usagi," she replies in a stern voice. Keeping her name a secret from me wouldn't have worked anyway, I bet she didn't give Arisu a fake name when they met. And it's also likely that tied to a chair of leadership rule, she at least revealed her name even if only to throw them a bone.

"I'm glad you chose our hotel," I joke, folding my hands in a swinging receptionist's voice, looking back and forth between the two of them, "If you need anything, our front desk is staffed 24/7. Breakfast is available from six in the morning, lunch at twelve and dinner from nineteen. In the meantime, there is a snack bar by the pool. Since they booked the exclusive package there are complimentary drinks for twenty-four hours and a personal itinerary to participate in our travel packages to the games"

I laugh at myself and while Arisu looks at me overwhelmed and confused, his grim friend's expression seems to relax a little.

"Um..." , Arisu says, catching himself after a small moment of silence, "we want to know more about all this and we've been asking around a bit. Can we ask you a few questions?"

"Sure if I get something to drink first," I just shrug unconcernedly and he starts nodding again more frantically like in the conference room.

"I'll get you a water"

"White wine" I correct him and after a short pause he nods again and walks to the bar. I look to Usagi waiting for a question or statement from her, but she doesn't stir until Arisu returns with a full glass of wine. Satisfied, I accept it and take exactly four large sips before looking to Arisu, waiting.

"How long have you been here at the hotel?"

"I don't know honestly, I'd say quite a long time," I state, making a thoughtful noise. How long have I been here, several months? Or does it just seem that way to me. Heck, how long must the Hatter have been here then?