Chapter 103

Arisu's point of view

I accept my allocation slip from a woman in the military squad and stand there in anticipation until Usagi accepts and unfolds her lottery ticket. This randomly drawn piece of paper decides whether we will be assigned to the same car and possibly play together. I'm not sure if I should be happy to see the same number on our tickets or regret it. I want them with me, but since the game in the botanical garden I've known that fellow combatants can quickly become opponents. Even if you would never wish for this.

Usagi seems to notice me watching her and responds by showing me her note numbered twenty-eight. Unsure of my expectations, I unfold my ticket and swallow hard when I see the black five on it.

"Then we're probably not together," she acknowledges the situation and I can only nod wordlessly, "Will we meet again at the pool after the game? Well, if we both..."

"Survive," I complete her sentence, and with a hesitant nod, we set off and walk silently to the front gate. We stop for a moment and I let my gaze wander across the parking lot, unable to quickly put together the words to say goodbye. But when she runs down the stairs, I can't help it.

"Much luck"

She looks at me in surprise and only nods in reply. I watch as she walks to her assigned vehicle and glance at her teammates. I don't recognize any player with weapons, so the military squad isn't present in their group. I guess that's what they call an offshoot here. No additional protection, the beach would not miss the players if they failed.

At the thought, I lower my gaze and walk across the crowded parking lot to look for my group. I look around and can only pay attention to the hotel residents, who are running across the square and displaying the most diverse emotions. Some laugh madly as their adrenaline soars, others slurp silently across the pavement, ducking their heads. I'm no better than them, my heart is almost racing and I'm not even past the deadly laser barrier.

"Newbie, don't pull such a gloomy face. After all, it seems we're playing together today," I hear a female voice behind me and automatically turn to the rear.

"Sa-Sayuuri?" I stutter in surprise and she just gives me a small smile.

"Blitzmerker," she giggles lightly, covering her mouth with a hand. She walks past me and pats my shoulder briefly before stepping over to the car and leaning her back against the hood. Her relaxed posture lets me follow her and I lean against the bonnet too. "And nervous? I'd like to say that you don't have to worry, but it's a matter of life and death. So... try to keep your cool at least. The vehicle driver is advantageous for spades, but we need all brain cells for a game of diamonds"

I watch her posture, confused by her calm words. ()

"You said you've survived about twenty games, aren't you nervous?"

"Oh yes, every time. But on one of my last games I made the mistake of being careless and not paying attention. It almost cost me my life, the difference was a second"

Surprised by her honesty, I just stare at her and can't reply. Apparently the woman next to me is no older than twenty-two, but she doesn't seem to have any illusions about the games. She's not positively convinced of winning the games, I've heard that from the few conversations I've had. She doesn't fool herself, but she always survives. If we end up in a game like hearts, she'll be a dangerous competitor.

Disturbed by this thought, I watch her for a while as she picks up a small black ball and spins it back and forth. Dreamily she looks across the parking lot and I just furrow my eyebrows. People here in the so-called Borderland walk around with guns and knives, not rubber balls. On the one hand, it makes them seem unbelievable and childish, but on the other hand, it's all the more frightening. Other people head to the venues with guns, but she only has this rubber ball in her hand. This silence makes me nervous, so I just pick a topic that comes to mind immediately.