Chapter 39 - Supply tour

I am the first to board one of the available vehicles. A day without loud party music or drunken people just sounded too tempting. The hatmaker didn't mind me driving along and just praised my commitment.

It is already afternoon, but the asphalt in the parking lot is still heated by the sun. I open the window directly on my side, because the air in the car is almost there. We drive for about twenty minutes and in the rear-view mirror I can see that we left with a total of three cars. The driver stops in front of a big supermarket and after he finishes his list of what we should look for, we get off.

I take a shopping cart and walk comfortably through the different corridors. I deliberately avoid the ones with the fruit and vegetables, as most of it must have expired. I pack everything that looks good durable and when the car is half full, I look around a little bit. There aren't many in the back of the supermarket, so I go to the confectionery department. I search the shelf for something that sounds delicious and put my car at the side.

I haven't been on the road like that for a long time. Except for the games, you don't really have the opportunity to leave the hotel. I didn't notice until I was in the hospital with Ann.

I discover the marshmallows at the top and without thinking I reach for them. Immediately a stinging pain permeates me and I take my arm down again. Why didn't I think beforehand? Annoyed, I hit the shelf and cast a gloomy glance at the marshmallows.

"What did they do to you?"

I look beside myself in amazement. Surely this must not be true, I curse inwardly. With his hands in his vest pockets and his hood, he stands there and grins as usual. He comes to me and reaches up to the bag before handing it to me. Thankfully, I nod to him and receive her.

"Don't see you at all," I just say, sitting on the cold tiled floor.

"I haven't been to you since the hospital," he says coolly, hesitating briefly before sat down next to me. Why am I behaving so stupidly, I mean being careful doesn't mean i have to keep myself away from him.

"Trust me," I say, smiling, "These were the most boring two days of my life."

He laughs softly and I open the bag before Leaning on the shelf behind us. I relax a little bit and I don't know if it's because the situation doesn't feel as strange as thought, or if it's just chishiya.

"Mhm, did you come along voluntarily?"

"Also. And you?" I ask, holding the bag.

"I took almost every opportunity to get out of the hotel," he says, taking a marshmallow. He's part of the leadership movement and has more freedom, but I've thought beach isn't the best thing for him.

"Would you leave if you could?" he asks, looking me directly in the eye. I am thinking for a moment, but I already know the answer. I was already on my own and I remember exactly how this silence felt. And that over a longer period of time would make me spin.

"No. I know for you this sounds stupid, but alone I would go crazy"

"And if you weren't alone?" he asks quickly, and I raise my eyebrows. His gaze is serious and I stop for a moment.

"So if you mean with you Chishiya, forget it. Not without Kuina, you wouldn't endure twenty-four hours at a time," I laugh and I think I'm wrong, but his traits become gentler. I probably was wrong with his serious gaze. I throw up a marshmallow and catch it with my mouth.

"Twenty-four hours?" he grins, nodding slightly before taking another marshmallow. His undertone tells me what he's up to and I just shake my head.

"Forget it, we don't bet on it"

"Why not," he asks in amazement, and his grin disappears a little. Firstly, because we have just been talking to each other for the first time in two days and secondly because I still have to be careful.

"Even if you win this bet, there's a good chance you'll never say a word to me again after that. The risk is just too great for me," I laugh and his grin gets wider again. I didn't really want to admit it, but the two days were perhaps torture because I got out of his way. At the end of the aisle, the new chef suddenly appears and comes up a few steps towards us.

"Sayuuri right? Izumi said you're a great help, I need help with the coke boxes"

I look apologetically at Chishiya and put the bag in his hand. I tell him not to eat them all, but to take them with me. Of course I have to help with the boxes, the cook apparently doesn't dare ask the man next to me or knows that he would just ignore him. Why did Izumi just have to say that I am a great help?