Chapter 73 - Museum

I had no nightmares, even though I fell asleep with the worst fears. I expected to find myself in the middle of the sea, alone and nowhere in sight. Maybe even on a small boat falling apart in the middle of a storm. But no, falling asleep next to Chishiya saved me from all that. Somehow uncanny, how even my subconscious reacts to him.

When I woke up he was already gone, probably to a meeting. I snuggled into the soft blanket for a moment before grabbing my dried clothes from the bathroom and heading to my room. I quickly freshened up when my uncle was already at my door and we went to eat at the restaurant together. Of course he wanted to know what all happened yesterday and I tell him most of it. However, I leave out how I helped Aguni, it's probably better that way.

I wanted to spend the rest of the day reading, but just before I left, Yuudai intercepted me and since about eleven o'clock in the morning he insisted on playing table soccer together. Meanwhile, blisters are already forming on my thumb but with every side glance I notice that he wants to get rid of something. Apparently he doesn't dare to say it, so I give him time and just keep playing. Maybe I'm just trying to distract myself from the thought that I might get into a heart game with Chishiya again. The odds are one in four. This category is the only one where I wish to be entered without him.

But no matter how long I wait, Yuudai just won't come out with what's bothering him. As dusk slowly begins to fall, I politely say goodbye and disappear into my room to get dressed for tonight's game. I take my rubber ball and put it in my pants pocket after tucking my new knife behind my back. My heartbeat and pulse are regular, probably because Chishiya said we'd play together again today. Inwardly, I bet it will be a game of diamonds or clubs.

I run to the stairs, but a familiar feeling creeps up on me and instead of running down to the entrance hall, I run up to my vantage point in the gallery. I have a perfect view of the hatter, who holds his always same-sounding speech. To Aguni, who is standing behind him with his arms crossed, Ann who is looking down critically at the people and Mira who is looking at everyone like a bone for a dog. The number two has a grin on his lips, but keeps his gaze lowered and doesn't seem to be watching anyone which makes me feel uneasy. And then there's Chishiya. From his staring eyes at the Hatter, I can tell that he knows exactly where I am. Even though he doesn't look at me, I know he's noticed me and I can see him suppressing a cheeky grin.

As soon as the hatter's speech is over and the people abruptly run outside, I run to the stairs and head for the entrance area. I see Chishiya standing at the entrance of the hotel, leaning against the pillars of the door. I run toward him, but judging from his posture, something is wrong. Suddenly an arm wraps around my shoulder and I try not to flinch.

"I pulled all the strings so we could play together today," my uncle says, looking down at me proudly. He's wearing a smart suit instead of a robe and the look on his face tells me he's very confident about this game. It can't get any worse than playing with Chishiya and my uncle. At least until we walk up to Chishiya and the number two shows up with us.

"An interesting mix," he remarks dryly but can't help a superior grin. Everything tightens inside me and I try to put on a feigned smile. Chishiya doesn't dignify me with a glance and the three men are already running to a car, but I remain standing for a moment as if in shock.

"Where's the nearest laser barrier when you need it," I mutter sarcastically, kicking myself inwardly to get moving. I sit down in the back with my uncle I nervously spin my black rubber ball in my hand. I squint to the side and notice a gun by my uncle. I realized that the leadership rule decided not to send a group to the games unarmed, but why doesn't number two have the gun? He must trust him enough to let him protect it. I don't like this weird kind of friendship between the two. In my last game with the number two and Chishiya, I was forced to be on my own. In the maze, he made me run in the other direction with the strangers.