chapter 15

15. Interest

Li Chengming looked at Qin Ya and Li Xin'er. The one liang of silver ingot in his hand became heavier. He felt embarrassed.

"Sufen, please take this one liang for you. Even the family is separated, if you have any difficulties in the future, just speak up."

Qin Ya looked at Li Chengming sarcastically and didn’t take the silver ingot in his hand.

"There's no need to be so troublesome. Why not simply give me more at one time so that I won't come to disturb you all anymore?"

Li Chengming raised his eyes and took a quick look at Qin Ya and the silver ingot in his hand.

"This..."

Zhu Cuihua glanced at Qin Ya and yelled.

"What's the matter? Is it too little for you? One liang can already buy you a lot of food."

Huang, who had just gone out of the inside house, also had a straight face and felt so reluctant. If it was up to her, she would only give Sufen half liang, while the damn old man insisted on giving one liang.

"Qin Sufen, our master was kind-hearted and even gave you the portion that we were supposed to have. You should take it and leave immediately."

Huang's heartbroken and also trying-to-be-generous expression made Qin Ya smile on the surface. However, deep in her eyes, it was complete coldness.

"One liang for the compensation?"

Qin Ya spoke slowly.

Huang immediately looked at Qin Ya warily and compressed her lips.

"What's the matter? Do you regret it now?"

With that being said, she took the silver ingot from Li Chengming and put in front of her chest.

“Your man is already dead. You should try to lay low and stay quiet. You’re just like a troublemaker now. You’d better leave now. My family didn’t cook that much food today. "

Then she went to the table trying to pick up chopsticks and bowls.

Qin Ya looked around. However, Li Tao still didn't come out of the room. Let alone Li Chenggu's monthly salary after he had become a soldier, which was about a few hundred Wen at least (a measure unit for money, one thousand wen equals one liang of silver ingot), it was impossible that the compensation was only one liang.

"I'm just a farmwife with shallow knowledge. I can't compare with my father-in-law and the village head, who have been to school and have seen the outside world. But!"

Qin Ya's eyesight got sharper.

"Although I personally didn't get the money sent back by Xin’er’s father every month and all of them were collected by you and my father-in-law, since it has been three or four years, at least there should be about ten or twenty liang of silver ingots, not to mention my husband’s compensation."

Huang's mouth trembled, which came into sight of Qin Ya.

"As the daughter-in-law, I hold strong confidence in your integrity. I'll go to the village head to ask if someone else took my child’s father’s hard-earned money?"

Qin Ya held Li Xin'er’s hand and walked outside.

"Stop!"

Li Tao finally came out of the inner room with his face reddening, angry and anxious. If their second daughter-in-law really went to the yamen (a government office or a judgment hall in feudal China), Li Family would lose its face.

"What’s the matter, dad?"

Qin Ya turned around and looked directly at Li Tao.

Li Tao looked at Qin Ya with half narrowed eyes, trembling with anger, and finally shifted his gaze to somewhere else.

"It was your mother-in-law who remembered wrong about the exact amount of the compensation. I'll go inside the room and get it for you."

"What are you doing?"

Huang grabbed Li Tao’s arm immediately and looked at Qin Ya in a rage.

"How dare you, Qin Sufen. Don’t you know the situation at home? Look at what we eat. It’s just some watery and tasteless soup. If there was so much compensation for the second son, why don't we eat meat?"

Meanwhile, she also complained to Li Tao while crying.

"We’ve already promised to give you two acres of land after the autumn harvest. What you are doing now is to push me to die. Besides, how much could you and your son eat?"