Chapter 34

Don’t You Dare!

Seeing Tan Lanfang like this, Qin Ya knew that she was hiding something and questioned further. "What's going on? Is there anything that you keep from me?”

Tan Lanfang faltered for a while.

At last, she sighed and finally said, "I got along with you so well, and I didn't intend to hide it from you. My body is so disappointing. Ever since I got married, there was no sign of pregnancy yet. I’ve already visited a lot of doctors. However, nothing cheerful happened. My husband and I often changed residences for the sake of the convenience of medical treatment."

When it came to this issue, Qin Ya indeed rubbed Tan Lanfang’s nose in it.

Although she got along well with Tan Langfa, she was not a doctor after all. She could not know what problem it was with Tan.

Hence, she could only keep this in mind so that if she came across some famous doctors in the future, she would take Tan Lanfang to have a look.

"By the way, I’m here also because I want you to do me a favor."

Qin Ya changed the subject.

Tan Lanfang also put aside those problems that had haunted her for many years upon hearing Qin Ya’s words, thinking that those questions would no longer annoy her if she didn’t dwell on it.

She replied, "Sister, why are you so courteous to me? If you need my help, you can just say it. There’s no need to call it a favor."

"Well, I heard that you were taught to read when you were little. Can I ask you the favor to teach me how to read?"

"Sister Sufen, you are saying that you want to read?"

Tan Lanfang was shocked.

Qin Ya could understand her reaction a bit. After all, in this era, men were asked to be able to read to pass the exam and become the top scholar while women were only asked to be able to do the needlework and family chores. Not many families wanted girls to be literate.

Besides, home schooling with a private tutor was expensive. If it was not a wealthy family, people wouldn’t even be able to afford home tutors for their daughters.

"Is it too much to ask for?"

Qin Ya asked tentatively.

"Not that it is a problem. I feel bored all day anyway. I'll just read with you to pass time."

Tan Lanfang agreed to the request with alacrity.

However, she was still confused about one thing.

"Even if girls like us can read, it’s still useless after all. I often read those painless uninteresting poems, and my husband complains about it all the time. How come you suddenly come up with such an idea?"

It was obvious that Qin Ya couldn’t say that she needed an excuse to show what she knew.

She had too many advanced skills. However, she couldn’t show them now given that she was a stupid woman named Qin Sufen, who would never be able to know what she knew. .

Nonetheless, if she was able to read and whenever someone questioned her, she could just say she read it from the book.

After all, there were not many people who could read in this era. Many books were passed down from the previous generations and were rarely spread outside.

As long as it was about something that others didn’t know, she could just use the book as an excuse.

"I heard people say that there are beauties and gold houses in books, so I want to see if it is true."