chapter 18

18. To Butter Up

Li Tao was upset and frowned a little, putting the title deed on the table and looking at Qin Ya.

"The title deed is here. Huang, go to the kitchen and give them ten days' food."

Qin Ya picked up the title deed and put it in her inside pocket with a smile, ignoring other people’s gazes.

"Father-in-law, you are still the most sensible one."

After saying that, Qin Ya patted Li Xin'er's head and continued, "Xin'er, you must keep in mind how your grandpa helped us. When you go outside and are asked by others about us, you should tell them that your grandpa is treating us so well. Do you get it?"

Li Xin'er looked at Li Tao with a smile, said in a melodious voice.

"I will remember grandfather’s kindness, and will tell other people that my grandpa loves me the most. When I grow up, I will buy paper for grandfather to write on. My grandpa has the best handwriting."

Qin Ya looked down at Li Xin'er, thinking, ‘What a little clever guy!’

Li Tao’s countenance got better. His gaze at Li xiner's mother and son became gentle.

"Huang, give them another 50 Wen so that Qin could buy more nutritious food for Xin’er. This child has the sagacity.”

Huang bowed her head and turned half of her face to look at Li Xin’er. ‘Sagacity? Or he is just foxy? Like Qin Sufen, he is not a good thing either.’

Fifty Wen could even buy a kilogram of meat. Buying meat for this little bastard? She would only do it when she was crazy.

Because of Li Tao's attitude, she only said in a soft voice.

"My Lord, there are some meat in the cupboard, which I specially prepared for you to give you a treat tomorrow. They are all good meat. Would you like to give them to Xin’er?"

Li Tao nodded.

Qin Ya went to the kitchen and looked at the meat, which was only about half a kilo. She didn’t even want to argue about it. She watched Huang to fill half of a bag of rice for her, took some household utensils and put a basket on her back. Then she went to their residence.

Along the way, Li Xin’er was very excited.

After they reached where they lived, Qin Ya went directly to the kitchen and was about to cook. Both of them were still hungry.

"Mommy, are we going to eat all this meat today?"

Li Xin'er's bright eyes stared at the streaky meat on the chopping board.

Qin Ya cut the potatoes and set up the fire. Her face was full of smiles.

"Well, this meat is all used to cook together with potatoes, and today we still cook some rice too so that you can put the soup of the meat and potatoes into the rice and eat them together. It will be super yummy."

Li Xin'er kept swallowing.

"Meat for you, and I will just eat the potatoes.”

Qin Ya stopped her action of making a fire and had a lump in her throat. She caressed Xin’er’s head and said, "You must eat more meat so that you can grow tall in the future and protect me."

Li Xin'er looked at Qin Ya and asked, "But mommy, you used to like eating meat a lot."

Qin Ya's face fell. She could see her fat waist and body. However, when she touched Li Xin'er, he was so bony.

"I’m determined to lose weight and will save all the delicious food for Xin’er in the future."

"Really?"

"Of course. You can go outside and play around. I'll go find you when the meal is ready."

After dinner, Qin Ya and Xin’er took a stool and went to the pomegranate tree in front of the courtyard to have a rest. Li Xin'er's head was on Qin Ya's legs, while Qin Ya took a palm leaf fan and gently fanned.

"Mommy, do I look like my daddy?"

Qin Ya had no impression on Li Chenggu. She twinkled.

"You are your father's son. If you don’t look like your father, who else could you look like?"

Li Xin'er blinked his big eyes.

"So my father looks like me."

Qin Ya chuckled at his childish words and tapped his nose. The village head said that Li Chenggu was still alive, but his leg got injured. She still didn’t know if this man was easy to get along with or not.