Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Black and White

"Don't just naively think that the promotion of your husband to Qian Hu ( A title for government officials in ancient China who took charge of the due amout of households ) can really settle this matter. We wrote the selling contract in black and white and you signed it as well , so you can't get out of it."

Having realized that Qin Ya didn't yield to his persuasion , Lord Zhang straightened up and rebuked.

While speaking , ge also took out a piece of yellow paper with characters written all over.

"Who knows whether your contract is real or not?"

Qin Ya still took things easy and remained calm.

"Well. Since you don't admit it , let's wait for the village head to come and get the justice served."

After saying so , he plumped himself down on the seat stone in the courtyard out of anger.

Qin Ya indeed got tired because of holding the child. Meanwhile , she didn't want this four year old child to get involved with their adults' issue. Therefore , she let the little guy go inside.

Although the child was scared , he still went inside and shut the door tightly as Qin Ya said.

Until now , Qin Ya was slightly relieved. In fact , she was not quite sure that she could really cool things down with Lord Zhang. Now , she could only take one step at a time. However , she did hold a belief that she could never give the child back to Lord Zhang again.

Shortly after, a group of people headed by the village head packed this small yard tightly.

Li Village was not large, which only had around a hundred households. Besides, it was not the busy season fir farming. Hence, people have long been curious about what was happening when they saw Lord Zhang storming to the village with his menservents.

Right now, seeing the village head coming here as well , villagers just followed the crowd and wanted to rubberneck at this.

Looking at the crowd, Qin Ya curved up her mouth gradually.

Such being the case , she gained some courage!

"What happened?"

The village head looked like in his sixities with grey hair. His face was full of wrinkles. However, his pair of eyes were brimming with radiating vigor.

After entering the yard, he thrust his cane into the ground and started asking.

Lord Zhang acted quickly. Seeing the village head come here, he immediately explained to him the ins and outs of the story.

The village head immediately frowned and looked at Qin Ya after hearing the story.

"Is what Lord Zhang said true?" The village head asked Qin Ya.

Hearing this question, Qin Ya was obviously stunned for a while. She thought that Lord Zhang got the village head here just to intimidate her, for she thought the village head was on Lord Zhang's side.

However, now she eventually came to herself and sorted out that she was wrong.

"How could it be fake? I saw that she received the money with my own eyes!"

Before Qin Ya even started to explain, one of the villagers mocked her.

"Eh, this second daughter-in-law of the Li family is really heartless to sell her own child for chicken feed..."

Although everyone was whispering and talking, Qin Ya turned a blind eye to it.

She lowered her head, pretending to wipe tears and choking.

" Village head, Li Xin'er is my only child. Even if you give me a golden mountain, I will still never exchange him for it."

She said miserably in a fading and hoarse voice. Then , she pointed to Lord Zhang.

" Lord Zhang was fond of my Xin'er's cleverness and determined to take Xin'er away from me!"

" You... You'er talking nonsense!"

Lord Zhang got anxious.

He indeed had to be anxious. Even if he could not get the child back, according to Qin Ya's statement, he took away the child illegally by force!

If it was in other villages, he would not be afraid. However, this Yunding Village is different. Most of the residents were the descendants of Li Yunding, one of the founding heroes of the country.

' Li Si, the village head , was once a Shi Lang ( a title that equals to Vice Minister ) in his eary years. Although he resigned from office and no longer has the rights that he had before, he knows so many high-ranking government officials. He, as a Lord, can never challenge this village head. ' Lord Zhang though to himself.

" Whether I'm talking faithfully will eventually be figured out! "

Qin Ya suddenly raised her eyes and glared at Lord Zhang.

Her hair was disheveled, her cheeks were covered with tears, and her eyes were bloodshot. She looked exactly like someone who had been wronged and finally lost her temper out of choices.

This made all the people at the scene whisper. Li Si , the village head, had even fiercer eyes , scowling at Lord Zhang.