XIV

"How could you miss a dead body ?" speaks Wednesday, clearly dubious about the situation.

"'Cause it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night" answers irritated Sheriff Galpin.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home" 

Angel follows silently behind the taller girl, still a bit shocked about what they saw. Principal Weems and Sheriff are not going to believe them, because apparently nothing happened. Strange.

"We saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of us" insists Angel.

Wednesday looks at her and nods. She studies her tired face. Did she sleep ?

"Get a good look at this monster thing ?" the blonde frowns.

"It didn't stick around for a chat"

"Maybe it was one of your classmates"

Principal Weems turns making them stop on the stairs. "Sheriff, I find that question offensive" remarks.

"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attack"  Wednesday gives a suspicious look. "Well, the mayor and I disagree on that"

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed" Angel looks at how she raises her chin in annoyance and defense.

"I'm sorry. I forgot, you only teach the good outcast here, right ?" he glares at the hybrid "we both know that she can easily kill someone".

She looks down embarrassed, trying to not remember that one time. Wednesday takes a step in front of her and gives Sheriff a warning look. Deep down, however, she wants to know everything she is capable to do, everything she did. Yesterday she didn't loose herself, but she still was skilled.

Principal Weems sighs loudly and motions to go into her office. 

The raven turns and sees the smaller playing with her rings. "Come on" she softly whispers and put her hand on the lower part of her back. 

Angel blush, adoring the touch, and follows. Unknowing that Wednesday is blushing slightly too because her unconscious action.

"My guess is Rowan ran away" They arrive at the office. Angel and Sheriff Galpin sits, while Wednesday prefers staying up. She doesn't come often into the office, it is quite intriguing .

"State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family" Weems sits on the other side of the desk. "but they haven't heard from him either"

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls" blurts Wednesday, making Angel giggles. She shouldn't, but her ironical answers make her laugh.

"What were you doing out in the woods with him ?" He questions the girls.

"I heard a noise in the forest and went to go investigate. That's when I stumbled upon the attack."

"I saw her going into the woods and decided to follow her" Continues the blonde. The raven side eyes her. They will talk about that after this useless reunion.

"Then what happened ?" 

"Then we ran into Bianca Barclay and we told her to go for help. Next thing I remember, I was awaking in my dorm" Sheriff looks at the other.

"Same" She didn't sleep much. She know she could've protected them, but the creature digging his claws into Rowan isn't an unforgettable scene. She could've done something, but honestly, she was scared. Never seen a creature like that.

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal ?"

Wednesday raises her eyebrow annoyed. "I've hibernated with grizzlies. I know the difference"

Angel looks surprised at her and the raven feels proud.

"Thank you Sheriff" Principal Weems interrupts. "I think Miss Addams and Miss Johnson are done now-"

"Actually, I would like to speak to Sheriff Galpin. Alone." 

The blonde shifts uncomfortably. 

"I'm not sure I can allow that" she now stands up and her posture screams authority.

"I'm sure I could take her to the station and get a formal statement"

They look at the stares they give to each other, the atmosphere tense.

"Yeah let's go""Fine. You have five minutes, and everything is off the record" she goes near them and also Angel stands up, feeling small between the three.

"Play nice... or I will call the mayor" she challenges him.

Before Angel leaves with Weems, Wednesday grabs gently her arm. "I'll tell you everything later, we will meet up in a bit" her tone low so only she could hear.

"Okay, good luck with the old man" she whispers back, smiling. The smile that always touches Wednesday's cold heart.

Left them behind, Angel puts on her headphones. However, while waiting for Wednesday, she sees Rowan coming with a police agent.