XXIII

Angel's pov:

"I keep seeing the same purple book" Wednesday explains to us. Me and Thing searching for it. She told me about her visions and what she saw when she touched Rowan's glasses. However, she's too stubborn to ask her mother why she has them.

I point at another purple book, I'm on a chair so I can reach a higher shelf. "The cover was darker, more like a day-old contusion" 

I sigh. We spent few hours here and still didn't find it.  I turn to look at her. Did I just catch her checking my back ? I don't have time to think because I hear someone coming. 

"I don't usually find students in here looking for actual books" Mrs Tornhill comes down the stairs with her usual smile "Most sneak in to make out".

Me and the slightly taller girl exchange a quick glance, but we look away. Who knows what it's like to kiss her.

"We accidentally walked in on two vampires fanging. We can't unsee that" fortunately she is always the one who speaks.

Mrs Tornhill shrugs it off "Is there something I can help ?"

Wednesday seems hesitant at first, but then gives her the paper with the symbol she saw. "Have you seen this before ? It's a watermark from a book we're looking for"

I study the teacher's expressions and something makes me wrinkle my noise.

"I think it's the symbol to an old student society. Um... The Nightshades" she explains. 

"Like the deadly flower. Color me intrigued" I just love her way to answer people. 

"I was told they disbanded years ago"

"Any idea why ?" I ask curious.

"Sorry" she looks at me. I shift uncomfortably under her gaze. "You don't have your headphones" she states surprised.

I nod. I noticed that Wednesday's presence calms me a lot. I feel like I don't need them, my thoughts focused on her and what we do. They are in my pocket, in any case always with me. What do I listen to ? Everything. Listening to music like all the time makes you wanna hear different things, depending on the mood. I have so many playlist.

I look at how she sighs and frowns, hesitant to speak.

"Angel, can I talk to you ? It won't take too much time, then you two can continue find your book" she says carefully.

I look at Wednesday. It seems like she got closer.

"Yes, sure" 

"Do you need Wednesday too ? I mean, I don't want to stress you, she can stay with you" I'm surprised and annoyed at the same time. All professors are scared to talk to me. I know I can snap in any seconds but... It just makes me sad knowing I'm made like this. What does she need to say ?

"I'll stay with her" she answers and looks at me to be sure. I smile now anxious, playing with my rings.

"Your mother talked with Principal Weems" My eyes wide. So my sister was saying the truth. Shit.  "This week is the last week you're going to drink animal blood, you'll have human blood then"

I look down defeated and scared. My mother wants a dangerous monster, so she starts by forbidding my daily blood. I rather die than drink it again. At first I became apathetic, careless with no emotions, then my senses will increase and my hunger will grow until... But why now ? Why coming back now I can't understand. 

"I'm sorry, I know you don't want to, but we can't do something against a parent's will" she tries to approach me to comfort me, but I take a step back. Now needing my music more than anything.

She seems to want to say something else, but with a last glance she goes away leaving me and Wednesday alone. I can't look at her. 

I seat on the nearest chair and try to take out my headphones nervously. My heart beats too much. I need to find a solution. I'll keep these last blood bag, I need to keep them for a bit and then ? I can't ask another vampire, they feed normally. 

"Angel" she kneels in front of me to look into my eyes, but I focus on the pocket and why I can't take them out of this stupid purple uniform. I sighs frustrated.

I stop when Wednesday takes my hands. She looks calmly at me and I don't know what is she doing but is working. I take a deep breath and get lost into her beautiful dark eyes. She seems concerned but her composure doesn't shake me more.

"Wednesday" I say seriously and desperate "I can't drink human blood. I... I can't" my eyes tears a bit thinking at what would happen.

She doesn't move her hands and I start playing with her fingers absentmindedly.

"You won't" she says determined "We'll find something".

"I don't want to waste your time"

"I'll do something even if you don't want it" Her determined look makes my heart explode with love. She doesn't move away and I can clearly see that her mind is somewhere else.

"What if I hunt for you ?" I look at her amused and surprised. She wides her eyes a bit. "I mean, I used to hunt when bored at my house, I can bring you some animals" 

I giggle flattered. "You don't need to do that" but she doesn't seem to listen to me. "What did you catch ?" now curious to know more about her. She starts talking and I can't help but smile, I can also see the shadow of a smile from her.

We then continue our research, but with negative results. 

"We should go to dinner" I propose looking at the time, it's late. She agrees.

"After you, cara mia" she then opens the door for me, smirking and making me blush.