Chapter 31

"When will he come over? What is he doing?" Rose asked, her left leg bouncing up and down. I opened my mouth, but she didn't let me speak. "Never mind, I'll see for myself."

She turned around and gasped. "Oh my god! He's talking to a girl with a pixie cut!" And then she followed with, "Should I do one too?"

Rose touched her hair and measured her length. I had to look over her shoulder to see what she meant.

Dean was really talking to someone. Obviously, he was taking the order of this person but something told me that this wasn't a girl with a pixie cut. "That's a guy."

Rose stopped inspecting her hair and looked sideways at me. "I ...I knew that."

Really, I thought. "Why can't you just go over there?" I pointed at Dean behind the cash register. "Order something and talk to him."

"We stay here," she hissed at me. I know, I shouldn't have given her the side - eye but sometimes she acted ridiculous and deserved the judgmental eyes from me. "Dean should come over to me and he will when he sees you cleaning the same spot. Then he'll talk to me and the love story will begin."

Rose looked dreamily in the distance.

 And why not? 

She was right - exactly, a few seconds later Dean started walking over to us with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Get to your position," Rose lowly hissed at me. 

I didn't tell her that I was in my position the last couple minutes. I just stopped wiping the counter. I didn't want to ruin her plan, so we both started casually talking about ...well nothing. Our whole conversation didn't make sense because we always stopped midways in a sentence and started new sentences. 

But that was the plan - Dean would come over to us when he would see that I was actually doing nothing except talking to Rose. He would get annoyed. Rose would pretend that she didn't notice him and when she did, Dean would be so mesmerized by her beauty and presence (her words) that he would start talking to her. Of course, I had to start a conversation with Dean, so that Rose could jump in and make him talk to her. 

It sounded like a perfect plan.

It wasn't.

The moment,  Dean came into the picture, he said, "You're cleaning the same spot over and over again."

Jeez, why was he soo rude? 

I looked at Rose, who still laughed at nothing. I opened my mouth but Rose was faster. "Oh Dean, you here? I hadn't seen you."

She flipped her hair back and smiled at him.

"I work here," he said flatly. 

That were the only words that Dean's mouth. Rose's smile now looked forced. I didn't think she was expecting this - this dismissive behavior of a guy. On top of that, Dean was really rude when he opened his mouth. What crawled up at him today that he's so pissed off?

I tried to help Rose out. "Rose is going to produce and direct her own play at school," I said to loosen up the tension between a girl and her crush and that was what I came up with.

"No wonder, if you go that school," Dean replied back and the distaste for LW Prep was clear. Of course, the opportunity of writing, producing and directing a play was huge and you couldn't do it everywhere but I didn't think, he would have such a problem with it. I mean, Dean's in college.

Out of the blue, a hand shot up past me and grabbed Dean's hand. I was pretty sure, Dean and I wore the same shocked expression on our faces.

The next move of Rose didn't make the situation better. "You can be a part of it," Rose blurted out.