Chapter 39

I was inspecting myself in the mirror. I looked cute in my outfit - a short, creme, straight - lined dress and some black long boots paired with a beige coat  - and it seemed classy if I had to meet someone. Sweet and casual, that was what I was going for. 

My make up was simple enough and looked flawless except for the bag of rings under my eyes. Nonetheless, I donned my sunglasses since I've put contacts in my eyes, grabbed my bag and left.  

I looked at my phone to see if Cam had texted me again. He asked me to meet him downstairs in ten minutes and since I woke up late, I was late. Obviously, I was a little taken aback when Cam literally decided that today - a Sunday - would be the day where he would take me out for "his date". 

Exactly, the date he blackmailed me with and literally spoke weeks ago. 

I reached the the bottom of the stairs in a hurry, when I collided with someone. 

"Uh, careful," Mrs. Avilla said and and pushed me a little back. 

I pushed my sunglasses onto my hair and smiled apologetically. "Sorry, Mrs. Avilla."

"It's okay. You look pretty today," she answered and smiled softly. "Are you going somewhere?"

Was it alright to tell my ex - boyfriend's mother that I was going out with her nephew? 

It did feel odd to go out with the cousin of my ex, but I reminded myself that it was just a hangout thing.

Not a date. Not for me, at least. 

"Thank you and yes. I'm just going out but I'll be back for dinner," I answered. 

"Well, have fun." Mrs. Avilla smiled and went upstairs.

I put my sunglasses on again and left the mansion. 

Cam's car was parked in front of the mansion and he was leaning against it. He looked fresh and clean in his outfit - jeans and an oversized hoodie and sunglasses. So, he also went for casual and probably didn't see it as a real date. 

Though it was autumn, the weather was still mild and humid. It felt nice to have some warmth accompanying you from above. 

Cam looked up from his phone and grinned when he saw me. "Finally here. I was worrying you wouldn't come."

I couldn't help myself but return a smile. He had an infectious smile like his cousin. "I met your aunt on my way. Let's go before we meet anyone else."

"Your wish is my command." Cam saluted me and rounded the car. Then went on to open the passenger door for me. 

I thanked him and sat down. I reached for the seatbelt and fastened it. "So, where are we going?"

Cam gave me a side glance before driving away and we were on the highway. "It's a secret."

I nodded and looked out the window. It was a nice to get a surprise and I was halfway okay with the fact that I didn't know where we were heading to. 

At least today, for once, I didn't have to carry the burden of having a secret. 

***************

Cam parked his car in a parking lot. I stepped out of the car, set my sunglasses on my hair and looked around. We were definitely out of Lakewood and  in a parking lot. Opposite of it was a diner and a forest. High up the sky were mountains covered with snow. 

The place had a beauty but it also looked creepy and empty, although cars were in the parking lot. It gave me ghost vibes. 

Cam motioned me to come and we went up to the diner. Inside it reminded me of retro vibe - checkered black and white tiles, the booths had red benches with white tables and various old music plates hung on the walls as well posters of like the Beatles and other bands.