Chapter 9: VS Mandaeliscopod

The tree rams into the Mandaeliscopod.

Darren (thinking): Did it work...?!

The surprise trap stuns the Mandaeliscopod momentarily, but it quickly shreds apart the tree into pieces and chunks.

Darren: Dammit! It didn't work...!

Darren darts towards the Mandaeliscopod.

Darren (thinking): But at the very least..! It should be a bit disoriented..!

Darren's leg plants itself onto the ground. He takes one powerful leap up above the Mandaeliscopod's head and raises his leg up.

Darren (thinking): I should take the chance to attack it...! And finish it in one fell swoop...! While it's wide open...!

His calves tightens. He brings his leg slamming down onto the Mandaeliscopod's head. The head rattles from the impact.

Darren winces: Guh...!

The Mandaeliscopod staggers and Darren falls to the ground but manages to land safely. He clutches his leg in pain, "Shit...! This thing's exoskeleton is super hard...!"

The Mandaeliscopod aimlessly teeters about, – 'At least it looks like the attack somewhat worked...But I wasted an opportunity...! I should've used more power...'

Preoccupied by his thoughts, Darren fails to detect one of the arms swinging towards him on time. Tatsuo grabs Darren by his hoodie and jerks him away, avoiding the scythe.

Tatsuo: You ok?

Darren: Yeah... Thanks...

The Mandaeliscopod flails its arms around in panic.

Tatsuo: So what now?

Darren: We'll just have to escape...There's no way we're taking that thing down even if we were to tag team it...

Darren: Who knows? Maybe next time we'll use two trees instead... – He says sarcastically.

The Mandaeliscopod continues its senseless thrashing, hacking up the surrounding area.

Darren: Maybe we can hope to get the same Mandaeliscopod and eventually we'll kill it with enough trees....

Tatsuo: I don't have time for that. My friends are probably waiting for me at Argonaut.

Tatsuo runs towards the Mandaeliscopod.

Darren: What the—!! Hold on--!!

Tatsuo charges at the Mandaeliscopod and proceeds to dodge the incoming whip-like arms. The Mandaeliscopod regains its composure and spots Tatsuo. It swings one of its arms towards Tatsuo at great velocity.

Darren (thinking): Dammit that guy...! He's crazy...!

Darren lowers into a lunging position.

Darren: (thinking) He's also making me go crazy too...!

Darren (thinking): Breakpoint...

His legs beef up and tighten. At a sudden twitch, Darren shoots off with an explosive burst of speed. Upon firing off, a twinkling light sparks off from Darren's leg, making a loud "ping!" sound.

Darren (thinking): Accel!