Chapter 15: Room for a Third?

*Next morning.

A hotel staff arrives at the group's door knocking on it. The door opens and Tatsuo's head pops out.

Staff: Hi. Is one of you perhaps Tatsuo, or Sharon?

Tatsuo and Sharon exchange looks with each other, both wondering what was going on. The staff member proceeds to explain the situation about Victor to them. Immediately the group heads towards the lab.

*At Dr. Crogsbell's lab.

A door slides open. The group arrives at the room where the steam generator is located. There they see Heymlir, Dr. Crogsbell, Mearl huddled around a bandaged Victor lying on a sofa. Sharon rushes to Victor exclaiming, "What happened?!"

Mearl explains to Sharon in detail what transpired on the streets with a guilty expression.

Mearl: ...And that's what ended up happening...I'm sorry, this was all my fault...! When I woke up, he was already like this...! I can only assume he stood up for me and defended me while I was out, considering my condition....!

Heymlir places his hand on Mearl's shoulder, consoling him, "This trouble is not only for you to bear Mearl. Civilian safety is the responsibility of everyone here in Argonaut, as we should all look out for each other."

Heymlir (faces towards Sharon): I also wish to apologize for the actions brought upon by my people. But now we face another dilemma...

Heymlir: The core has been stolen. It is important that we get it back.

Darren quietly asks for a reminder what the core was. Tatsuo answers back that it was the thing they have to give to Queenie.

Heymlir: I have issued a search and detainment for the core stealer and the city gates are currently under lockdown. As for Punk Riot...Well, things get complicated when it comes to dealing with them...

Sharon seats herself next to Victor, watching after him carefully.

Mearl: We've done whatever we could for him. We even gave him a potion. All we can do now is wait for him to wake up and fully recover...

Darren catches Tatsuo sniffling his nose.

Darren: ...What's up?

He sees Tatsuo's gaze settled on Victor. With his usual blank expression, it was hard for him to figure out what Tatsuo was thinking at this moment. Just now his nose was reacting, was he feeling sad, but just didn't want to show it? Is he mad? Or does he not simply care?

*Outside in the streets of Argonaut.

Sharon: I knew something was off when Victor didn't return yesterday!

Tatsuo and Darren are trailing behind Sharon. Tatsuo's nose begins to sniff again. He looks at Darren.

Darren (notices Tatsuo looking at him): ...What?

Sharon: But to think something like that happened to him...Poor guy...

Amidst Sharon's ramble, in a soft tone Tatsuo tells Darren to come with him.

Sharon: I know! We should all get something for Victor for when he wakes up so that it'll cheer him up!

She turns her head back to the two to ask what their thoughts were, only to see that they've disappeared.

*Near the rims of the city: The Scrapyard.

The core stealer has taken refuge at one of the scrapyard sites where piles of trash seem endless to the eye. The silhouette of factories can be seen in the distance where the sky is blackened by the clouds of fumes coming from them.