Chapter 54: A Whale to Travel

The group looks out at the wharfs, deciding which ship they should take. They ask Queenie for suggestions, but she replies that even she isn't entirely sure. The group seeks out a nearby dock worker for advice.

Dock worker: Hm? Odale?

Dock worker: Only certain ships here will take ya der. Mostly dated ones as da latest vessels such as the big one that just left have restricted access to dock der.

The dock worker grunts as he heaves a crate on top of another.

Doc worker: But...! That's just Odale...That's why der's da saying, "Odale is an old tale..."! Can't give you all a recommendation with much confidence on which one would be da fastest...

Dock worker: Otherwise, you can try some of da self-employed folks der. - The dock worker points out the selection of individuals at the corner of the dock owning a variety of aquatic monsters.

Dock worker: Most of 'em use water beasts to transport folks to places. If ya plan to go with one of dem folks, I recommend the Ge'kos as dey're da fastest water beasts stationed here. But if ya folks are lookin' to cut down on costs and don't mind a long voyage time, then the good ol' leaf paddler will be da cheapest option.

Victor: Oh~! That's something I'm familiar with! - Victor says as he sees two men waiting at the dock with a gigantic leaf stationed at the waters next to them.

Victor: I've seen a lot of those at the port me and my dad went!

Dock worker: Yeah...Those thangs are as old fashion as you can get. In the olden times, that was how folks crossed the waters. As you can see, there are some people who still use 'em in these days and ages.

The group discusses their options. They all agree that spendings isn't a problem, so they don't need to take the leaf paddler. Darren and Queenie express that they'd prefer to get to Odale as soon as possible, but it isn't a major concern for them. The group heads to the corner of the harbor where the dock worker pointed out to them earlier to scout their choices.

The group finds the Ge'kos that the dock worker mentioned to them. Two slim admiral colored aquatic reptiles with a light red underbelly trailing from its tail to chin the size of a tall human resides in the water with harnesses attached to a wooden shack raft. Their features includes webbed feets, forearms and tail, with the end of the tail fanned out in the shape of an oar. The head of one of the creatures lifts up from the water. The fins located behind the nape unfurls into a sail, and its red throat bag begins to inflate in-and-out. Wrapped around their eyes is a red tinted bubble mask which made them look like they were wearing large pairs of red goggles.

After having a brief talk with the Ge'kos owners, the group checks out the next boatman. As the dock worker had told them, these men also had a monster to transport a small sea home. This time a gigantic goldfish wearing a giant bamboo hat. The boatman that's also wearing a bamboo hat asks the group where they were going.

Boatman: Odale? That's not a place most people choose to go to...

Boatman: I use a sunbelly to get around. Native fishes from where I am from. You'll rarely come across these species anywhere else! These things consume light ya see? And the more condensed they are, the more delicious it is for these things. When the light they eat gets digested, they turn into light balls that get stored in its translucent belly sack, hence the name! I use a rod with a light orb attached to the end of it to steer the fish.

The group ogles at the giant fish in intrigue. Though their description could be summarized as simply goldfishes the size of a canoe, there was an exotic aesthetic to them. The tips of its fins and brows were flame shaped with a red gradation. The light balls held inside the belly of the sunbelly illuminated beneath the fish, basking the surrounding water surface in a bright yellow that mirrored the image of the sun reflecting off a water surface.