Chapter 17: Archer

Darren: I was too focused on fighting so I didn't notice it... But we have the same fighting style.

Darren eyes both thief's hands being inside their pockets.

Darren: And that technique that you used just now...That was a breakpoint accel...How do you know that technique?

The thief's head tilts in interest.

Core stealer: I see. You must have caught up to me using a breakpoint accel as well. We must have been taught by the same person then.

Darren's face lights up in surprise.

"Sorry, but I don't have time to chat with you." – The thief abruptly leaps away in a hurry. Darren intercepts the thief and attacks him, their legs clashing against each other.

Darren: Why do you know Sahara...

Darren begins an aggressive assault against the thief.

Darren: And where is he?!

*Meanwhile at the location with Tatsuo and Jayce.

The two stare at each other in a standoff.

Jayce (thinking): Tch...! Those other two kicking guys ran off somewhere...!

While Jayce is preoccupied with his thoughts, Tatsuo comes running up to him.

Jayce (Thinking): And then there's this guy...I don't even know if I can win against him. His body is freakin' hard as hell! It's like I'm fighting a wall made of iron! Is he one dem guild or adventurers people? Those guys were pretty tricky to fight...

He revisits the moment when his foot had struck Tatsuo in the head, 'I think my toe fractured when I kicked him that time...'

Adding up the oddities that is Tatsuo, Jayce tries to think of a method to counter him with the ample time he has until Tatsuo reaches him.

Jayce: Well whatevers!

He will do it how he's always done it; is what Jayce thought. He will let his instincts take over and figure out a way to beat him through the motions.

Jayce (thinking): Just gotta get over it!

Jayce pivots away from Tatsuo's attack. He spins, landing a hook-kick against the back side of Tatsuo head. Tatsuo falls into the scraps on the ground.

Tatsuo picks up some random trash and proceeds to fling it at Jayce. Jayce casually slaps the object away, but then Tatsuo takes it a notch further by kicking various objects at him.

Jayce covers himself as the scraps hit his body. Tatsuo comes charging in. Jayce tucks down, avoiding Tatsuo's punch. He curls his fingers in and uppercuts Tatsuo with his palm. With the method of striking with palms instead, it would inflict less burden on him than if he were to fight using his fists.

He then strikes Tatsuo's stomach with another palm strike.

With Tatsuo staggered and left open, Jayce sees the chance to end this fight at once. His aim was the weakness that all men possess: the balls. He firmly implants his foot upwards into Tatsuo's crotch. However, much to Jayce's dismay, Tatsuo's balls seemed to be as hard as iron as well.

Jayce's body jolts and shivers in extreme pain.

Jayce (thinking): What the fuck...!? Did I miss...?! Or are his nuts hard too...?!!

Languishing over the pain, Jayce hops up-and-down while caressing his foot.

Jayce (thinking): Why the f*ck are his nuts hard...?! This guy's whack!! Or maybe this dude's actually a chick...?!

Tatsuo rushes towards Jayce. Jayce lets out an annoyed scoff and the two resume their fight.

*Back again with Darren and the thief.

Darren continues to pin the thief with flurries of kicks.

Darren: Tell me what you know about Sahara!

Losing his patience, the thief lights his leg on fire. Darren's eyes widen in surprise. The thief wards Darren off with a flaming kick.

Darren: Fire?! That's not fair... – Darren closely examines the burning leg of the thief.

Suddenly, in a fit of jealous outburst, "First he double-crosses me and Conrad by having another student... AND he taught you how to do a fire kick...?!"

Darren: He never taught me how to light my legs up on fire! Does he have favoritism?!

Thief: My fire abilities and Sahara's teachings have nothing to do with each other.

"I am Archer. Just as you said, you and I share the same mentor."

Archer: It seems like talking would be faster than trying to get through you

Archer: It seems like talking would be faster than trying to get through you. I thought your skills would be worse than mine, but you're quite persistent. Although, you are worse than me.

Darren angrily exclaims, "HEY!" At Archer's rude comment.

Archer: Anyways, you wanted to know where Sahara is right?

Darren: Yeah, that's right! He was with us during me and my brother's childhood, and then left us without saying a word! Where is he?!

Archer: Don't know.

Darren: What?!

Archer: He gave me the same treatment as well. I was found by him one day, trained me, and then he left.

Darren: But...Why?! Don't you want to find him also?! And why he left us!?

Archer: ... Not really. I can see why you and your brother would have attachments with him since he was with you throughout your childhood. I do recall him mentioning having two previous disciples. So he was talking about you and your brother then.

Darren (smugly): Heh, then that makes me your senior.

Archer: I suppose, but you don't look like it. You're small, much like your skills compared to me.

Darren (thinking): This guy...!

Archer: For me, it was a more passing experience. I only trained with him for a couple years. As for why he'd leave his students. I can understand his decision given his profession.

Darren blinks perplexed, "What do you mean...?"

Archer blinks back in surprise, "Did he not tell you two? You've spent more time with him and you don't know?"

Archer: Our master is a 'slayer'.

Darren: ... Slayer...? So are you saying the guy I admire is a murderer?

Archer: You don't know? Do you not read any news? Well, what you said isn't exactly wrong. A "Slayer" is a title given to individuals who people worldwide dub as the ten greatest bounty hunters currently alive.

"And Sahara is one of them."

A shocking revelation to Darren. He wonders why didn't Sahara reveal this to him and his brother.