The Detective's favor

>>Clio

"How's the new job going?" Monday was here again and the anxiety was pulsing through my veins as I left my apartment.

"It's fine mom, it's only the second week." I made my way to the train station, "How are you doing? Is the hospital staff treating you fine?"

"Of course," Her voice was weak, "They're all wonderful here."

"I see," I was feeling anxious, I'm glad she had the staff call me, "That's good then,"

"You're going to work?"

"Yes," I answered, "I'm in City A right now, so I can't come to visit you." I'll go back to City D when I'm free.

"Oh," Her voice got even lower, "Well, I'll wait."

I nodded, "I'll be back soon." I ended the call and let out a deep breath. If Matthew gets in trouble, the company would automatically let me go.

Right?

As I reached the company, I paused when I saw the number of people sitting on the driveway. It made me smile because it was a bit ironic and I was well aware of what was happening.

Even though I reached my workplace early and thought I'd be fine, I seem to have momentarily forgotten that the reporters and paparazzi are always there before anyone else. I watched from behind the trees as they eagerly waited for their prey.

Then I let out a soft sarcastic chuckle.

This was my doing. I tapped my foot on the ground, I sent the data to Nolan and we got an exclusive scoop. He was happy but I didn't get to talk to him. He said he was personally going to see it edited and aired and that we'll talk later but I knew this was coming. All the agencies are hungry for news and updates after all.

I'm sure they're all waiting for Matthew and Azef to show up.

I kept walking. I caught the attention of the reporters and some of them stood up to watch me but as soon as they determined I was going in, they started swarming towards me and I made a run for it.

"Do you know Matthew Merikh!!" They shoved their mikes towards me.

"Do you work under him?"

"Did you know he was involved in illegal activities?!?!"

"Please, did working with him ever make you uncomfortable?"

"What kind of man is he?"

I kept my mouth shut and ran inside the building. The only rule reporters follow is that they don't trespass. Well, not where they'll get caught.

I glanced at the CCTV in the lobby and nodded at it proudly, then walked to the elevator.

The news was on, and it was NLN news ironically but something else bothered me when I saw that. Cherelle was making the report? Isn't she just supposed to be the secretary? Why is she on air?

"Currently the drug mafia seems to have disappeared and the police are trying to locate them. On the other hand, the man you all can see." The video played behind her, "This man is said to be the owner of the building mentioned in the documents where these transactions take place." There was a group of people sitting in a private lounge and my temporary boss could be seen walking by them, saying something to them while he was on his way. "His name is Matthew Merikh and he's the owner of one of the largest firms in the country, AM. He's said to be involved in illegal activities and drug dealings along with the Chinese mafia. This was Cherelle Zima, from NLN,"

I stared at the news as they aired the documents I had sent them but I didn't pay any attention to them. I was bothered by Cherelle, since when did she upgrade from a secretary to a news anchor? I didn't watch the news when it was aired because I already knew it was going to happen. Was she on air yesterday too?