A kidnapping

>>Clio

I felt like a fugitive.

And it felt even dumber because that's what I made myself be. I felt like all the gazes around me suddenly turned cold and all the looks directed at me were full of suspicion.

They weren't wrong though... I was lying to everyone so it made sense but it was too heavy on me.

The night unfolded in an icy embrace as I wandered through the almost deserted streets, the chill in the air seeping through the fabric of my clothes. The flickering street lights cast long shadows, and the distant hum of the city seemed to fade into the haunting silence of the late hour.

Like a little child throwing a tantrum, I ran away. Well, not exactly that, I quietly slipped out so no one would notice but that wasn't very mature of me.

I felt so uncomfortable in Imani's house that I had to leave. That was foolish of me but I felt so embarrassed of myself... Not that it's Imani's fault or anything. She was trying her best to understand but she wanted answers too. And I really didn't want to say anything. What would I tell her? About how awful my life has been for the past several years? How I have been running and hiding for years? How everything I tried never brought me near to putting all of my troubles in the past??

My heart stung and I felt my chest get heavy.

Confusion hung heavy in the atmosphere, mirroring the disarray within my mind. The misty breath that escaped my lips blended with the cool night air, a visible manifestation of the uncertainty that enveloped me. It was summer but the night was cold, probably because of how much it has been raining.

The monsoon season will be soon over though. I guess it'll get hot again then.

I looked down at my feet and at the broken road I was walking on.

I should go back... If not back at Imani's place, then I should go back to my own apartment. Not that it's safe to go back there... The police said I could go back now if I wanted to, they had wrapped things up on their part but living alone after I got exposed would be stupid.

Should I go back to Matthew and Azef's place? But, to stay there when the owners of the house aren't even there...

I let out a sigh

It would be better than going back to Imani's place. I looked at the sky. But she would get worried if I don't get back, wouldn't she? It's already gotten so late.

I'll just text her that I'm going to stay at my place and I'll go and see if Matthew is back. I've been wanting to talk to him anyway. There are so many questions I want answers to,

As I turned a dimly lit corner, the solitude of the night shattered. Two ominous figures materialized from the shadows. Now it's not like I would immediately mark someone as shady but the moment I saw those two men in black, I felt it in my gut. The rhythmic echo of their footsteps as they made their way in my direction quickened my pulse.

In the dim glow of the streetlight, their faces remained obscured, adding to the menacing aura that surrounded them.

I immediately turned around and started walking in the other direction.

I'm just being paranoid.

I told myself that to calm myself down.

It's nothing. I'm fine. I'm overthinking. I should head back home! I sped up and began to brisk walk towards the direction of Imani's house but their steps synchronized with mine, creating an unsettling rhythm that resonated with the beating of my anxious heart.

OH! Shit!

They're getting closer aren't they? I kept walking, gaining more speed by the moment and then finally looked back.