Misery

>>Matthew

And it suddenly clicked in my mind.

Don't tell me

I had a bad feeling in my gut. I frowned and turned my head to look back from where we came.

Zhou-Lin already found that out.

"Ah," I stared back into her eyes, "Is that the secret you shared with him?" No wonder he took her with him. He must have forced it out of her why she's dressing up as another person.

"W-what are you talking about?" Her voice cracked, "Aren't you insulting me by saying that?" I could clearly see her pupils shaking but when I didn't say anything back and only stared at her.

She got unnerved, "B-boss, why are you looking at me like that?"

"Did the bullies have anything to do with this as well? "

"Oh!" She looked away, "That's Bizy and Imani!" She pulled her arms away from me and I let her. She ran towards them. They were far, a human shouldn't have been able to see that far but I guess the panic in her helped.

A woman...

I feel so stupid. I can't believe I didn't notice. I kept my eyes on her and she slowed down before she reached them and glanced back at me.

I saw her flinch when she saw me staring at her and she shot her head around and ran again.

But why?

Why is she doing this? Her ID card says she is a male and until a few days ago something was wrong with her scent too.

I don't know if her bullies knew anything about it but the fact remains she's been hiding her identity for years.

Why?

I saw her reach Imani and meet both of them as my phone began to ring. I took it out of my pocket as I kept my eyes on my mate and then answered the call.

"Boss," It was Lily, my secretary, "Hi, you called,"

"Lily," My mood was turning sour, "I got a call from our client in City D,"

"Yes?" There was a slight tremor in her voice. I know she knows what I was going to talk about.

"They told me someone else was at the meeting the last time it was held." My voice got lower, "Care to explain."

"S-sir," I could hear the fear in her voice, "That, ah, I'll come to you!" She said, "I'll explain it, boss! Please don't get angry!'

"..." I saw my mate leave my sight with the other two of my employees.

"Boss?"

"Fine," I ended the call immediately after saying that, and a dread-filled feeling coursed through my veins.

It seems Clio's hiding a lot of secrets.

That's not good. I wasn't as worried about it before as I am now that I know she's a woman and she's not even willing to acknowledge it.

I'll need to do something about that.

***

>>Clio

As I trudged back to my apartment after spending like two hours with my coworkers, a heavy burden on my shoulders mirrored the overcast sky above. The atmosphere was thick with the scent of impending storm.

I bit my lower lip as I kept thinking about what Matthew said.

'You smell like a woman'

My heart dropped once again as I recalled that and I couldn't help but feel tense. How can one 'smell' that!!?? And he was so sure about it too! How!??!