They know

>>Clio

"Why is your stuff here?" Azef looked at me, "Why else would it be here? Don't you already know?" He seemed a little skeptical, "Isn't that why you came here?"

I looked at him dumbfounded, "Why?"

"Didn't Matthew tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

He smirked, "I guess he didn't tell you." He stared at me, "Then why are you here?"

"Tell me what!?" I had no idea what was going on and it was making me confused. I was already confused enough, I had no more space left to think.

"He didn't call you?" Azef folded his arms and I immediately went for my pocket, taking out my phone.

It was 2 A.M and although I was knocked out for most of the day, I had started feeling tired again.

"Why would he call me out of the blue? He was with me a few hours ago." I opened my phone and looked at the screen.

'Three missed calls'

"Oh..." I stared at the screen, "They're from Matthew..." I whispered. But the last two calls were from him. The first one I got when I was at my apartment was from an unknown number.

I frowned as I kept staring at it. Who is this unknown number from? Should I try calling back?

I shook my head.

That does not seem like a good idea. An unknown number calling me right when the Head Hunter was there... I closed my phone when the main door opened. Azef and I turned our heads towards the main entrance as the sound of footsteps coming closer could be heard.

I knew who I was expecting and braced myself.

Matthew emerged from the corner, drenched in rain but the moment he saw me, he was surprised.

"Clio?" He didn't expect to see me here. I could tell from his expressions but I did not want to waste time on anything else before I got my answer.

I pointed at my stuff, "Why is all of that here?" Azef remained still in his place as he watched quietly.

Matthew's eyes traveled to my stuff, then came back to me, "Why else?" He took a step towards me, "Because you'll be staying here."

???

"What?" I knitted my brows together, "Why?"

"What do you mean why? Do you want to sleep in the place where two murders happened? That place is unsafe for a girl."

!!!

"W-what?" His words unnerved me. In the state of fear and confusion, I completely forgot our interaction that happened just a few hours ago. A chill swept through me as the realization set in. Fear, raw and unbridled, clawed at my insides, tightening its grip with each passing moment.

Right, he somehow found that out!!!

"A girl?" Azef's eyes twinkled as he looked at Matthew, "Him?" He pointed at me and then a curious gaze took over his sight as he turned to look at me, "Oh? Explains the scent change," Again? What's this about scents and smells?

"No!" I retorted, "I'm not a girl."

The fear wasn't just about the secret itself but the potential consequences of its revelation.

Matthew walked over to me, the water dripping off of him just like it was dripping off me. I remained frozen in my place, not backing off since I didn't want to show that I was faltering, "Why are you lying about it?" He came and stood in front of me.