prologue: You're Gonna Go Far

𝐒𝐨, 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐮𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐫, 𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐚 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭
𝐒𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥, 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞
𝐖𝐞 𝐚𝐢𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐫𝐲 𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞
𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐞'𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭

𝐒𝐨, 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐮𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐫, 𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐚 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐒𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥, 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐖𝐞 𝐚𝐢𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐫𝐲 𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧...

Jenna

"Can Jenna Midow come back from this? or should she hang up her sneakers— would she even be valuable to Uconn? Could she sink Nika Muhl like she did Clark—"

I roll my eyes as I stare at the video attached to the art titled, "Is Iowas gem no more? take a look into Jenna Midow's career and season ending injury." Before throwing my phone into my bag and dragging the cart of balls to the free throw line.

"fuck!" I curse as my first ball hits the rim bouncing to the side of the court before preparing myself for another one.

"Maybe you should take a break" A voice from behind me echos through the gym. Pausing my motion, I sighed taking out my air-pod stopping the music.

"Not now Clark." I mumble before shooting the ball as it swishes perfectly into the net.

"then when. You can keep hiding JJ, it's not fair to you and it's not fair to—"

"Who Cait? The Fans? You?" I sigh finally turning towards Caitlin meeting her worried shaded eyes, "None of this is fair - this is my career, it should be determined on MY terms."

"Look i know your frustrated but—"

"But what! Do you see what they put me through the last month? I get injured and suddenly the losing streak is on MY shoulders! — YOUR legacy — on MY shoulders!" Tears swell in my eyes as my best friends takes a small step towards me, "I used to have it all.. we did.. this team.. and all because of this STUPID knee i'm suddenly the laughing joke of Iowa Basketball.."

"JJ— your our—"

"Don't even say —"

"Jenna i swear if you cut me off one more time!" Caitlin hits the ball from my hands causing it to bounce towards her, "You have the rest of the year to think about this J.. You gotta heal first before you can play anywhere."

"Well I'm—"

"JJ, You know i won't hold a grudge against you if you go.."

Sadly, I look towards my best-friend.

She knew Iowa wasn't my home anymore.

"I- What if i fail.. again... you can't be a disappointment twice in the Media.." I sigh looking down towards my braced leg.

"Who cares if you fail, you got here didn't you? ACL or not, JJ you deserve to be on any court in this division, wether it's for Iowa or..."

"Uconn.." I mumble.

She smirks tossing the ball back to me, "I think you just made your decision super star."