4: Slow Fade

We were young and foolish
Now we're dancing like we're done
We found the end of the moon and sun
Was it always like this?
Cause now it's always like this

We were young and foolishNow we're dancing like we're doneWe found the end of the moon and sunWas it always like this?Cause now it's always like this

Paige

"So what happen between you and Jenna anyways? weren't you two like the best duo to touch USA basketball court." Azzi questions looking over at me as i scroll on Tik Tok. I shrug making her groan and roll her eyes. "It has to be something P.. this isn't like you to hate a girl you barely know."

"I don't hate her" I mumbled shrugging my shoulders as I sit up in the seat, "We are just strangers with memories — that's it and that's all it'll be off the court. On the court.." I sigh looking out the window. "We just gotta make it work." I nod as my eyes focus on the blurred passing figures that pass the car.

I've tried for years to contact Jenna but never built up the courage to do so, it was harder than anyone thought.

"Can i ask how it all started— or better yet what happen? What impact this girl had on the Paige Bueckers to make her suddenly go all vague and quiet on me." Azzi chuckles as my eyes flicker to the gps.

"15 mins — i guess i have to make this story quick" I smirk.

FLASHBACK 3rd PERSON*reminder Jenna was blonde before college*

FLASHBACK
3rd PERSON
*reminder Jenna was blonde before college*

Paige Bueckers had barely been able to contain her excitement all day. Since August 19th she had been counting down the days until September 1st. On that day, all of the preseason and summer training would finally pay off. All the early days and late nights spent drilling countless shots and going on five-mile runs just to gain endurance would finally be worth it. USA Tryouts.

The number 122 buttoned to her practice jersey as her and many others lined up on the court.

"Ok, ladies. I'm Coach Martin, but I'm sure most of you know that already. You obviously know why you're all here, so I'm not going to waste much time." He points to a man on his right. "This is Assistant Coach Shepherd. I expect that you will all act with respect towards both of us."

Coach Martin continued. "Before we get started, I want to say that I am aware that some of you guys are coming from different squads — different states, mindsets, skills. Whatever the case, you're going to have to work with each other today. Do the best you can." He gestures to his own shirt. "We're going to do tryouts as a scrimmage, so your teams are split up based on the color of shirt that had your name on it in the locker rooms. Navy shirts, you're together. Red shirts, same for you. So, again, work with each other, pass the ball, talk to each other this a reminder that your not only trying out with the person next to you but we need to make sure you can learn to be a team with them. Let's go." He blows his whistle to indicate that he's done talking.

"I'm sticking with you, you look like one hell of a shooter, ain't no way i want guard you." A voice next to the blonde chuckles jokingly as a small hand shoves her arm softly. "And it looks like we are on the same team"

Paige smirks nodding down at the girl next to her taking in her features briefly — a long kinked curly blonde hair pulled into a tight pony tail laid messily on her shoulder as small brown freakles crowd her face naturally — her green eyes piercing up into the blue of Paige's.

"I'm Jenna— but my friends calls me JJ.. Only because there was a handful of Jenns and Jennas on my team back at home so it made it easier—" The girl nervously rambled before Paige stuck out her hand to shake.

"Paige — Paige Bueckers."

"Oh i know sweetheart" Jenna smirks, "the whole world knows your name — under mind of course" She winks confidently before turning on her heels to begin to stretch.

"I see you met Jenna." Caitlin chuckles patting the blonde on her back softly.

"Who is that" Paige's eyes lit up as she turns towards Caitlin.

"Jenna Midow.. a sight for sore eyes. One of the quickest PGs i've seen.. But don't let her fool you — she'll out play any position player she wants."

"Well good thing she's on our team isn't it." Paige smirk, "Let's go see what's she's really made of."

After the scrimmage Paige couldn't deny how good of a player the smaller blonde was — and how great they connected on the court.

"Nice job out there, JJ. How're you feeling?" Paige asks, clearly out of breath as she changed out of her practice gear.

"Tired, obviously." She laughs, "Wish that I had taken that one shot in the final minutes— i was stupid and got too nervous. I didn't want the coaches to think it was immature move to shoot with a few seconds left on the shock. The plays were so good otherwise." Paige thinks back to earlier in the game, remembering Jenna chose to pass and assist rather than shoot her own three.

"Shows growth and leadership — don't be too hard on yourself. It's a team sport, not just you out there" Paige nudges her softly, "That and coach knows how good of a shooter you are— you're a five star."

"Five star?" Jenna chuckles confused.

"you'll figure it out" Paige winks.

Caitlin sees the two of them standing by their lockers walked over the the twos water bottle in hand. "Hey, great game so far guys." she smiles genuinely. She had a way of lifting everybody up while still managing not to downplay her own skills. "I think that three I hit earlier was mostly luck, but I can't complain." Paige and Jenna laugh shaking their heads.

"Cmon let's go get some food.."

——

"And that was the begging to — this i guess" I chuckle looking over at Azzi as we pull into the parking lot of the Airport.

"But i don't get it.. What happen between you two where you can barely even think about her without going mute.."

"The thing about Jenna Midow is she leaves her mark on people then she disappears, she did it to me, she did it to Cait. She does it to everyone she meets. Luckily for Cait they went to the same school so that spark..." I cleared my throat before looking out the window, ".. it grew, and for me and her." I chuckled slightly to hide the small pain that hit my heart, "Ours dimmed."

"Paige just because you guys went down two different paths doesn't meant those paths can't rejoin in the end..." Azzi says softly, "The universe has a weird way of working.. All i'm saying is give her a chance.. she's been through more than we know."

I look out towards the airport as we await the gilt i feel for so many years ago.

Maybe Azzi was right.