39. Real Friends

I'm no stranger to surprise
This paper town has let me down too many times
Why do I even try?
Give me a reason why

I'm no stranger to surpriseThis paper town has let me down too many timesWhy do I even try?Give me a reason why

*lets take a moment and appreciate lil freshmen— shorthaired jenna..*
3rd persons POV
*flashback 2020*

Kate Martin.

Redshirt Junior.

And gosh was little freshmen guard Jenna Midow intimidated by the 6'0 guard.

It's like... everything she would normally say or do just completely flies out the window everytime she sees her. Gone is the Jenna who can always toss around a witty joke, who lets anything roll right off her back. Instead, she's a fumbling, stuttering mess and no matter what she just can't help it.

And it's not like Kate is mean, or anything.

Intimidating? Yes. Intense? By far. Driven? Oh, most definitely. But mean? No, no way.

Kate was just that good.

And Jenna knew she was a goner immediately. There had been a moment, when Kate was guarding Jenna and she kept pulling on her jersey trying to fire the freshmen up at the rough play, causing Jenna to push her should back hard sending Martin to the ground. Quickly she turned making eye contact with her teammate for one of the very first times before sticking her hand out to help her up, only for it to be hit away as Kate got up herself.

"That's a foul Freshmen— just to let you know.." Kate winked before running towards the end of the court.

Afterwards, when they were still on the court and Jenna was desperately trying to catch her breath after a friendly scrimmage — first of many, Kate had actually come up to her . Skin shining with sweat, stray hair peeking out of her headband, and she'd stuck her hand out to Jenna, then, and said, "Good game."

That's when Jenna choked. Like, actually choked. As in, swallowing down her spit at the wrong time only to start letting out these hacking coughs like a fucking crazy person, doubled over and trying to catch her breath, feeling like the world's biggest dumbass. Meanwhile, Kate just stood there; outstretched hand beginning to waver in the air as her eyes grew wide.

Jenna knew kate was hot... and she wouldn't lie if she said she didn't have the hugest freshmen crush on her upperclassmen teammate.

The first time she ever liked someone else besides Paige.

But Kate definitely thought Jenna hated her as she was all quite around her older teammate.

Part of her wondered if she was really about to go full monk and take a vow of silence around Kate, and the other part was sure with the sick inevitability that something would have to give soon.

A full month later her hunch is proven correct when Kate corners her after practice.

"So, what's your damage?" she asks.